Hot Rod Forum banner

355 motor build

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  327NUT 
#1 ·
Hi my names mario and im new to the board. I drive a 69 camaro ss .
-Engine - 355 - fullie heads, small aftermarket crane cam. specs unknown. , street dominator single plane manifold, edelbrock 650 carb

Transmision- turbo 350 , stall 3000

411 gears - 12 bolt rearend

Im looking to build up my motor to run 11's .
Any good combos u guys know of?
Replacing - heads, cam , intake , and carb.
Already have a Nitrous plate kit 150 shot
Any suggestions?

#2 ·
you probably wont need nawwwssss to get your car down in 11s
Since you run a single plane, you're good there - and the carb is perfect... I would get a good dual exhaust hooked up, tho.

For heads, I have heard (and i could be wrong here) that both Dart and World Industries makes some really decent flowing heads, or you could even have your machine shop take a go at them (clean, port, polish, new hardware, 3 angle valve grind, etc, etc)

What's your compression? If its guts are stock, you can upgrade to some domed pistons, kick up the compression a little, and heck, even toss in new rods and bearings while you're at it.

And, definitely match the cam to your heads - I dont know what Dart would suggest, but something around 302/302 would probably kick some ***.

I am just guessing here, feel free to set me inline (engine veterans)

#4 ·
or could you could run a low compression engine like 8-8.5 and then throw a supercharger on it after you have built it up! thats what i'm planning on doing to my pontiac 400 some day! but here is just a different idea for ya, and then you get that cool whistling sound lol :drool:

#7 ·
dont go with nitrous, i cant stand when i see nitrous used! that is basically saying that you cant build your motor to the power that you want!

#8 ·
Cstraub said:
Which end of the 11's, 11.00's or 11.90's?

Good point. When you hit 11's, low and hi are a far jump in performance.

67bird said:
dont go with nitrous, i cant stand when i see nitrous used! that is basically saying that you cant build your motor to the power that you want!
I cant agree. Ive never really believed that you can count one power adder as a cheating device, but not another.
To me theres no difference in building a motor for nitrous use than there is in building one for a supercharger, or dual 4's. You get power however you like it. At the end of a race its who gets there first, however you get there first. HG
:thumbup:

#9 ·
i get what your sayin, but i have just never liked spraying something into your motor. and since all a supercharger does is force the air into the motor at a faster pace, then you cant really consider it like nitrous! but i guess they are kinda alike

#13 ·
power adders

you know the old saying nitrous is nice but id rather be blown...hehe..but theyre simply different ways of getting more oxygen into the motor. nitrous has the stigma maybe cause its new school. personally, i cant see why youd want a machine [blower] to do the job nitrous can do. of course you have to have super duty fuel,ignition, and piston systems on board before you consider either.have fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.