Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 355 SBC Tuning help
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

355 SBC Tuning help

Hello, first post here. I am having off-idle load up problems and nasty smelling exhaust and I am hoping to get some help. Here are my truck specs:

Vehicle: 1985 Chevy C10
Engine: 355 SBC
Cam: Big Muther Thumper #12-602-8
Pistons: Flat Top
Heads: 305 port and polished
Crank: Scat
Rods: Scat
Intake: Edel E-Performer 750 w/ Edel dual plane manifold
Exhaust: Hooker headers w/ 3inch pipes to Flowmaster 40's
Dizzy: Stock vac. advance non-functioning. Mech advance rusted solid.
Timing: Uncertain at this point as timing mark on balancer is off. Points to 10 O'clock on passenger side.

First off, I did not build this engine. It was already setup nearly like this when I bought it a few months ago. It initially came with a half-assed E-Performer 600. I bought the 750 due to a deal Jegs had on them.

Since having the 750, I replaced the step-up springs with the weaker blue ones. That has helped off idle load up after the truck has warmed up. If the motor is still cold, it'll load up then blast off. I have not changed anything else with the carb. Also, the accel pump is set to top hole.

I have idle set to 1000 RPM and it holds that just fine. I have tuned the IMS to get near 10" of vacuum. Outside of idle, the truck runs fine. I can put my foot in it and spin the tires while cruising in most cases. It is this off idle issue that I need resolved.

Another thing the truck is doing is spitting a lot of either moisture or gas out the exhuast pipes and it smells pretty knarly. Almost as bad as nitro r/c fuel.

First start of the day is a chore at times. I have to pump the gas at least 5 times to hold idle. Anything less than that, I am fighting to keep the motor running. Manual choke does work. Otherwise, it'll start right up after warm-up.

Thank you in advance!