355 vortec heads comp xe268 build questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

355 vortec heads comp xe268 build questions

I am new to this site and there is some really good info from what I have read. I just started my first project on my 92 ext cab 2wd silverado. I am going .30 over, hyper flat tops, vortec heads with comp xe268 cam, i found a edel air gap intake on CL for a good price. I have been searching for 350 recipes for a while and most seem to be happy with this setup. I am still looking for info on lifters rods etc. I do have the stock rods, lifters and rockers that came with the heads but not sure if they will work. machine shop said they will have the short block and reconditioned heads that will be good for about a .550 lift back to me in about 2 wks. they are doing a valve job and new springs.

A few questions I have are
1. what size carb do yall recommend?
2. which lifters and what size push rods should i go with?
3. I read something one time about drilling larger holes for the push rods?
4. anyone running this setup, should i be aware of anything?

thanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

a 650 to 700 carb will work fine. As for push rods your way over shooting the importance. A set of comp cams stock lenth heat treated push rods are all you need. A set of federal mogul lifters will suit you fine. Make sure the intake you have will bolt on to Vortec heads. The old style intakes have a 12 bolt pattern or 6 on each side. Vortec heads have a 8 bolt pattern or 4 on each side.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I ran a similar set up in a SWB chevy. The RPM was a bit too much at low RPMS for my liking but I also had 3:23 gears. I changed it 3:55 in it's later years and it seemed to appreciate that a bit more. I think you will be happier with a Eddie high rise Z28 style. Advance the cam 4 degree's.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:50 AM

ok, so i'm good on the rods and lifters then. will the lifters and rods that came with vortecs work. as far as intake it is for vortec heads, time to start collecting my coins for the carb. thanks
Old 11-27-2009, 10:51 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX512
ok, so i'm good on the rods and lifters then. will the lifters and rods that came with vortecs work. as far as intake it is for vortec heads, time to start collecting my coins for the carb. thanks
This a roller or flat tappet cam? Unless they are roller lifters, throw them away (or keep them IN ORDER and store them away with the cam they wore into)- flat tappet-type lifters cannot be reused on a new cam!

The rockers need to be self aligning- this is what came on the Vortec heads, but could have been changed along the way.

If they're not SA, you'll need guide plates. Regarding your question #3, what you may have heard is that the push rod hole in the head that guides the p-rod on non-SA equipped heads needs to be enlarged if using guide plates, a high lift cam or if larger diameter p-rods are to be used.

In your case, I would reuse (or buy roller fulcrum) SA rockers and like DV said, use a good set of hardened p-rods in the stock diameter, but a thicker wall.

There are p-rod legnth checking tools that don't cost too much, or have the machinist check for p-rod length before ordering them. If you are handy, you can easily make your own adjustable p-rod to save some $$$ (see image below- nothing more than a halved p-rod threaded for a 1/4" stud)- the machinist doing it will prolly be the most expensive alternative.

Getting the geometry correct is important. In the process of rebuilding the engine, the the right p-rod length can change from stock. Decking the block/heads, head gasket thickness, machining of the valve tips and seats when the heads are rebuilt, different rockers (if used) can all alter the p-rod length needed.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PUSH ROD LENGTH CHECKING TOOL 002.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	42222  
Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the info, I guess I thought I had the lifters but I dont. I'll check out summit.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

on a 268XE lobe you have to use the springs spec'd by Comp, or you will be buying another cam after that one fails. Spring choice is CRITICAL with these agressive cams.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.