Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 355 vs. 406 w/vortec heads
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr480r View Post
another tight lash flat tappet was not an option for me. The truck often sits for long periods, and although they work fine for most i didnt want to risk another lobe failure. I feel the dry starts may have been a factor, as well as my springs. And In my new neighborhood a camshaft breakin with 3" exhaust isnt a good idea. I dont wanna name drop the cam company on a open forum. not til after i use it anyways. Initially the rep suggested a 236-240 cam on a 110 lca. staying under .500-525" lift for the vortecs. But when we discussed this being a max effort with my existing parts and usage we decided to change it. After I stressed I had a loose converter, as well as a true 10.7 CR he decided to bump it up one step for pump gas. The LCA was tightened to 108 because i have no vacuum acessories. He felt my previous 106 was too tight for the 5.7 rod length? the cam lobes are .501" with 1.5 rockers and it was the closest lobe master he had in this duration range that would let me keep my 1.6 rockers without the lift going sky high...
For fully ported Vortec heads the rep's initial recommendation was about right. Go figure.