355 w/ vortec heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: montreal
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
355 w/ vortec heads

well this is the layout for my 355 build... im trying to figure out how much will it push roughly

355 block 010 nickel
new vortec heads 1.94/1.5
comp's 981 springs
comp's 1417 roller rockers
comp's sk12-238-2 lift@.050 218/224, lift .462/.469
speed pro 4.03, 5cc, coated
headers 1 1/2" primary tube
performer rpm intake edel
650cfm carb edel or 750cfm (i have both)

the car is a 1981 parisienne b-body coupe with a stock th250c and stock differential

any advice on parts is welcomed as well

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 PM
curtis73's Avatar
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
 
Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carlisle, PA
Age: 41
Posts: 5,200
Wiki Edits: 16

Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ditch the THM250 or it will ditch you

Otherwise it looks really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009, 02:57 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: montreal
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Ditch the THM250 or it will ditch you

Otherwise it looks really nice.
i will and i know i will have to go easy with it... until i get a th350 in there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:07 AM
CNC BLOCKS NE's Avatar
CNC Blocks Northeast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Age: 54
Posts: 1,469
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abas_abas
well this is the layout for my 355 build... im trying to figure out how much will it push roughly

355 block 010 nickel
new vortec heads 1.94/1.5
comp's 981 springs
comp's 1417 roller rockers
comp's sk12-238-2 lift@.050 218/224, lift .462/.469
speed pro 4.03, 5cc, coated
headers 1 1/2" primary tube
performer rpm intake edel
650cfm carb edel or 750cfm (i have both)

the car is a 1981 parisienne b-body coupe with a stock th250c and stock differential

any advice on parts is welcomed as well
We did one a few years ago and we cut the Vortec heads for 10:5 comp. and used 6 inch rods and the engine dynoed 432 horse and 460 on the torque.

Make sure your not using the Mexican casting as they will hurt you on air flow.

With that small of cam a 750 will do nothing for you.

If you are not running a zero deck block or the heads have not been cut you may want to go with a cam that would be in the 226 @ .050 single pattern on a 108 to build some dynamic cylinder pressure which will help with torque and HP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: montreal
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS NE
We did one a few years ago and we cut the Vortec heads for 10:5 comp. and used 6 inch rods and the engine dynoed 432 horse and 460 on the torque.

Make sure your not using the Mexican casting as they will hurt you on air flow.

With that small of cam a 750 will do nothing for you.

If you are not running a zero deck block or the heads have not been cut you may want to go with a cam that would be in the 226 @ .050 single pattern on a 108 to build some dynamic cylinder pressure which will help with torque and HP.
the heads are 062 don't know where they are made and don't think it has been decked (how would i check) but will a single pattern cam kick up the compression... i don't want more than ~10.5:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009, 01:53 PM
CNC BLOCKS NE's Avatar
CNC Blocks Northeast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Age: 54
Posts: 1,469
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abas_abas
the heads are 062 don't know where they are made and don't think it has been decked (how would i check) but will a single pattern cam kick up the compression... i don't want more than ~10.5:1
You will be under 10:01 of the block has not been decked, Single pattern cams have less overlap and I don't know what your lobe sep. is but a tighter lobe sep. will make more dynamic pressure as well.

What is the ADV duration of your cam and Lobe sep, and what your duration at .200
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: montreal
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS NE
You will be under 10:01 of the block has not been decked, Single pattern cams have less overlap and I don't know what your lobe sep. is but a tighter lobe sep. will make more dynamic pressure as well.

What is the ADV duration of your cam and Lobe sep, and what your duration at .200
ADV INT: 262
ADV EXH: 270
.050 INT: 218
.050 EXH: 224
LSA: 110
Factory rocker lift INT: 0.462in
Factory rocker lift EXH: 0.469in
RPM range: 1300-5600
Lobe lift: .308int/.313exh

i cant seem to find the duration more than the one advertised
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009, 03:30 PM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 29
Posts: 9,361
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 20
Thanked 369 Times in 348 Posts
Your cam is a little small for a true 10:1 compression. It will need to be tuned perfectly on pump premium. Going up a little on the cam or down a little on compression will give you a little more wiggle room if you just want to "set it and forget it" as far as tuning goes. And single pattern cams usually make more torque, but when you increase the intake duration you usually loose low end torque, so if that's what your after decrease the exhaust duration.

A 226 cam would be a good match for that compression though, and then maybe step up the stall a hair. Maybe better gears (depending on what you have).

Also, you MAY be over 10:1 depending on your actual deck clearance, gasket thickness, piston volume, and chamber volume. If the stars align right you may be as high as 10.5:1 you really need to measure it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
CNC BLOCKS NE's Avatar
CNC Blocks Northeast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Age: 54
Posts: 1,469
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abas_abas
ADV INT: 262
ADV EXH: 270
.050 INT: 218
.050 EXH: 224
LSA: 110
Factory rocker lift INT: 0.462in
Factory rocker lift EXH: 0.469in
RPM range: 1300-5600
Lobe lift: .308int/.313exh

i cant seem to find the duration more than the one advertised
Thats a small cam thats for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: montreal
Posts: 41
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Your cam is a little small for a true 10:1 compression. It will need to be tuned perfectly on pump premium. Going up a little on the cam or down a little on compression will give you a little more wiggle room if you just want to "set it and forget it" as far as tuning goes. And single pattern cams usually make more torque, but when you increase the intake duration you usually loose low end torque, so if that's what your after decrease the exhaust duration.

A 226 cam would be a good match for that compression though, and then maybe step up the stall a hair. Maybe better gears (depending on what you have).

Also, you MAY be over 10:1 depending on your actual deck clearance, gasket thickness, piston volume, and chamber volume. If the stars align right you may be as high as 10.5:1 you really need to measure it all.
low and mid torque i really want but i also want to run on 87 pump because it will be a daily not much for drag except maybe a couple guys on the street... so im not aiming for a high compression and dont want a stock compression either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2009, 06:36 AM
CNC BLOCKS NE's Avatar
CNC Blocks Northeast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Age: 54
Posts: 1,469
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
If your block is not zero decked it going to be dam hard to get 10:01 if its a set of stock pistons they set down below the deck about .045
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2009, 06:54 AM
cool rockin daddy's Avatar
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: wherever cool cars are
Posts: 1,535
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That is a Comp Extreme Energy 262. If you want to believe Chevy High Performance, they got 400 + HP and around 420 TQ with a Extreme 268 cam. Looking at the powerband graphs on Comps site, you would probably give up a little HP (maybe 5-10) and gain a little in TQ with the 262. Nice little motor for cruising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorheads...Need help with Vortec style heads, can they just be swapped? firstgear Engine 16 01-15-2007 01:02 AM
906 vortec heads on a what? 406 ss monte Engine 11 01-14-2007 06:11 PM
Any Experience with Large Port Vortec Heads? ezobens Engine 5 12-30-2006 10:28 AM
XE 268 or XE 262 with Vortec Heads Chevy21 Engine 3 09-06-2004 10:38 AM
XE 268 or XE 262 with Vortec Heads Chevy21 Introduce Yourself 0 09-06-2004 01:51 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.