355 won't start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 06:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

355 won't start

Replaced the timing chain in my 355 lined the dots up on it... Put it all back together now it won't start. Just cranks. It's getting fire and fuel, any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevythmpr
Replaced the timing chain in my 355 lined the dots up on it... Put it all back together now it won't start. Just cranks. It's getting fire and fuel, any ideas?
When you line the dots up on the cam/crank gears, the motor is at TDC firing on #6, not #1. The crank has to be turned one full turn (360 degrees) to get #1 on firing. If you had the distributor out or changed the relationship of the cam to the crank when you did the timing set change, you'll have to find TDC on #1 by pulling the #1 spark plug and putting your thumb over the hole while you turn the crank with a socket/bar until you feel pressure building, then watch the harmonic damper to line up the TDC gash in the intertia ring of the damper with the timing pointer. Then re-stab the distributor with the rotor pointing at 5:30 O'clock for #1 plug wire and run your wires from there.

Last edited by techinspector1; 11-01-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:19 PM

I didn't pull the distributer, but i had the cam advanced two degrees before. This time I set it back to stock. Could this still throw my timing off 360 degrees?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

You need to do exactly what TI has told you to do and it will be in time, And if you have fire and fuel it will fire and run just may need to do alittle tunning with the timng light to get it just right.IMO.....Cole
Old 11-02-2009, 05:18 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

May I ask why you changed the timing chain?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:37 AM

I had no real reason to change the chain, wishing i didn't now. The timing chain cover was leaking so I figured i would replace it while I was in there.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:23 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

It ain't that big a deal, the hard work is over. Just follow Techinspector's instruction's and you'll be running in no time! You just forgot the crank turns twice to one turn of the cam. After you line up the dot's opposing each other you need to turn the balancer one more turn so both dot's are in the up position. The reason for this is it's easier to line them up opposing each other rather than try to line them up when the dot's are both pointing up.

Last edited by sqzbox; 11-02-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Doesn't this make you wonder what the engineers were thinking when they designed the SBC? Couldn't they have just as easily begun stamping the dot 180 degrees around on the other side of the cam gear so that when you put it together, it would be on #1 firing instead of #6? Is there something going on that I don't know about that caused them to do it the way they did? This has been a source of frustration and worry for amateur builders for over 50 years. I mean, look at the number of times this has been explained on this forum. That has to be just a drop in the bucket compared to all the backyard mechanics who have asked on other venues or had to look it up at the library or call someone with more knowledge.

Last edited by techinspector1; 11-02-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:43 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Might make a good wiki article. Only thing is, most won't read it till it's too late!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

And I thought the major problem with SBC is the distributer is on the wrong end of the engine.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:17 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Not if you put it in the back seat!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 PM

I tried everything you have told me and still nothing... With this being said i'm to the point where im going to tear it back down and check, maybe I just thought I got the dots in sync. I was 99.9% sure, but at this point it's got to be that because I didn't change anything else and it ran before I took it apart.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 PM

Start over and re-check your marks and......

when they are aligned...put the balancer on and turn the crank until the pointer is pointing @ TDC. Maybe even pull the valve cover and check that no.1 cylinder is a TDC with both valves closed. THEN you know its at TDC. When its ALL back together...advance the timing 6 degrees or so and see if it cranks. Leave the distrib. hold down kinda loose so you can turn the disrtib. while cranking to get it to start.
6sally6
Old 11-03-2009, 08:29 PM

Well tore it all back apart guess I had a dumb a. attack b/c I had the gears way off. After paying close attention the num. 1 is on compression stroke when cam dot is pointing to the top of the motor... I always thought the gear would be pointing down Am I just mistaken?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevythmpr
Well tore it all back apart guess I had a dumb a. attack b/c I had the gears way off. After paying close attention the num. 1 is on compression stroke when cam dot is pointing to the top of the motor... I always thought the gear would be pointing down Am I just mistaken?
Nope. With #1 on firing, the crank gear will be at noon, the cam gear will be at noon. It's hard to get the gears lined up like that without using a straightedge or something similar. Put the gears on dot to dot, crank gear at noon, cam gear at 6 O'Clock. The motor will then be firing on #6. Turn the crank one full revolution (360 degrees) so that both dots will be at noon and the motor will be on #1 firing. Button it up, place the distributor rotor at 5:30 O'Clock and run your #1 plug wire from that terminal. Continue plugging wires in around the cap clockwise from #1, using the firing order (1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2). Cylinders are numbered from the front of the motor going back to the firewall. Driver's side 1-3-5-7, passenger's side 2-4-6-8. I know you know this, I'm just completing the thought for others who don't know.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.