355ci with destroyed piston!!! how? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 12:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

355ci with destroyed piston!!! how?

So basically after my troubles in the past with oil pressure and all now the newly rebuilt 355ci stalled on me in city traffic (this engine has barely seen 5000rpm and never higher, temps were normal to peaking to about 200 in the hot weather here on an occasional hourlong afternoon of city traffic).

this is just a weekend driver and the new engine barely has 500 miles on it.

what happened was some coolant of the rad resulted in the oil pan which I think may have hydrolocked it, but on taking the head off the #8 cyl's sparkplug was damaged with the electrode missing in the middle of it.
here's what I encountered...

Click the thumbnails for the picture
here's the 2-4-6-8 bank with a nice #8 piston that has broken...

a close up of #8:

some junk also made it through to #2. the gasket on this side especially #8 seems pretty ok, but I don't have that sharp of an eye, can you guys see anything? I think maybe on the bottom...

I'm not too sure but the head gasket doesn't seem burned but then again I've never seen a burned one yet. It also doesn't appear that the valve nor the plug are the cause of the broken piston...

It has been mentioned to me that a too tight/incorrect ring gap may have caused this and my dad has been suspecting the mechanic's measurements since day one of the swap.

This is also the mechanic arguing with my dad that 0* initial advance is ok for a small block and priming with a drill at 3000rpm with less then 15 psi oil pressure is ok....

this has been standing for 4 days without the heads but covered and in a more or less rainproof car cover.

the mechanic has screwed up the rear cam bearing in the past and some other minor stuff so we're afraid he might not have delivered a good engine in the end. the engine had it's oil checked and replaced regularly in those few miles it did. (only 2months of driving... )

what do you guys think thew causes might be?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 AM

Last photo:

looks like the top ring butted ends from the gap being too small to me
Old 04-05-2007, 06:25 AM

piston

first, look at the pic, and you will see the broken piston, rings too tight did this. not enough ring gap. second 15 psi with a drill is nothing. I used a 1/2 '' drill and on a old eng i have was able to get 55 psi o/p. he may not be using the dist body. that has to be done in order for the press to go to both sides. my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:40 AM

Last photo:

I would highly recommend finding a new mechanic...sounds like he may have got his traing certificate from a box of Cracker Jacks.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:52 AM

Last photo:

Whats all the junk in #2?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

Looks to me like too small top ring end gap.maybe he thought .005"was .0005".and so on.YOU really need to re-check every measurement he took on this engine and do-ova,or look for somebody who knows what he's doing.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTy
So basically after my troubles in the past with oil pressure and all now the newly rebuilt 355ci stalled on me in city traffic (this engine has barely seen 5000rpm and never higher, temps were normal to peaking to about 200 in the hot weather here on an occasional hourlong afternoon of city traffic).

this is just a weekend driver and the new engine barely has 500 miles on it.

what happened was some coolant of the rad resulted in the oil pan which I think may have hydrolocked it, but on taking the head off the #8 cyl's sparkplug was damaged with the electrode missing in the middle of it.
here's what I encountered...

Click the thumbnails for the picture
here's the 2-4-6-8 bank with a nice #8 piston that has broken...

a close up of #8:

some junk also made it through to #2. the gasket on this side especially #8 seems pretty ok, but I don't have that sharp of an eye, can you guys see anything? I think maybe on the bottom...

I'm not too sure but the head gasket doesn't seem burned but then again I've never seen a burned one yet. It also doesn't appear that the valve nor the plug are the cause of the broken piston...

It has been mentioned to me that a too tight/incorrect ring gap may have caused this and my dad has been suspecting the mechanic's measurements since day one of the swap.

This is also the mechanic arguing with my dad that 0* initial advance is ok for a small block and priming with a drill at 3000rpm with less then 15 psi oil pressure is ok....

this has been standing for 4 days without the heads but covered and in a more or less rainproof car cover.

the mechanic has screwed up the rear cam bearing in the past and some other minor stuff so we're afraid he might not have delivered a good engine in the end. the engine had it's oil checked and replaced regularly in those few miles it did. (only 2months of driving... )

what do you guys think thew causes might be?
What kind of piston (forged; hyperutechtic,cast) also were they file fit rings, need some more info!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcantrellsr
What kind of piston (forged; hyperutechtic,cast) also were they file fit rings, need some more info!

part# on piston and its ring kit:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...RW-8KH345NCP30

basically a value set of 4.030 flat top (with valve relief) hypereutectic federal mogul pistons & rings to which the block was bored and honed to each piston (the mechanic said)...

Edit:

I've only done about 300 miles after the rebuilt... only city driving... no high rpm's...

Do you guys know if there's any way to be sure that the cause is indeed an incorrect ring-end-gap?

Last edited by DjTy; 04-05-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:39 PM

Last photo:

when you pull the pistons out check the ring gap on all of them.also check piston to wall clearance to any chevy overhaul manual with an engine section.chances are good there are a lot more things wrong with what he did.
if you go by the book you are never wrong...er well unless the book has a misprint...
Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Was this a complete out of the car rebuild or an in the car overhaul? It looks like the valley area is'nt all that clean for 500 miles. Is there/was there cylinder wall ridge or was the block bored? The piston top looks like top ring clearence too tight but those rings from Summit are'nt file to fit type of rings. This is the kind of problem seen more with the KB Hypers with the top ring close to the piston top and therefore requiring more ring gap due to more heat. Did'nt find any foreign material in the cylinder? Sidewall clearence? Bearings? Could be lots of things, but like everyone says, you need to get a different mechanic for sure. Are the cylinder walls damaged?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 PM
be a man dodge tree bark!

Last photo:

looks like the rings touched.....
any nitros?
being the rear cylinder what was your idle speed?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:43 PM

Last photo:

on a side note even non file to fit rings need to be measured to double check manufacturer.
just like bearings,pistons,etc...maybe Joe assembly worker was having a bad day and put a +0.010" main in a +0.020" main box. so many variables when keeping tight tolerances ultimately it is the assemblers responsibility to put it together right.measure everything.
last year i put together an engine with hardened push rods new from a reputable manufacturer(what do you use to pick up something very heavy/rhymes with pain)one rod did not have an oil hole on one end.I didn't notice.what an expensive mistake.
how much i hate to say it, ultimately it was my fault for not looking at them.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior stocker
Was this a complete out of the car rebuild or an in the car overhaul? It looks like the valley area is'nt all that clean for 500 miles. Is there/was there cylinder wall ridge or was the block bored? The piston top looks like top ring clearence too tight but those rings from Summit are'nt file to fit type of rings. This is the kind of problem seen more with the KB Hypers with the top ring close to the piston top and therefore requiring more ring gap due to more heat. Did'nt find any foreign material in the cylinder? Sidewall clearence? Bearings? Could be lots of things, but like everyone says, you need to get a different mechanic for sure. Are the cylinder walls damaged?
complete rebuilt, all new bearings, seals, gaskets, pistons, rings, camshaft etc. from the ground up, only crank was used. block was bored & honed by mechanic. in those 300-ish miles it had 3 oilchanges with the latest a week before the stall.

piston rings as in the link I provided were also federal mogul as the pistons. they were a piston+ring kit.

no foreign material, cylinderwalls of #8 damaged and to a lesser degree scratches on # 2..

@seriousracer:
No nitrous/boost/whatsoever, this is just a citytraffic N/A setup as a second car, not even a daily driver... did only 2 months of driving

Idle was at 600-700rpm.
(cam being 222*@.050 with 447lift. also a federal mogul/speedpro cam matched to compression, intake(performer eps) & torque converter (2000stall).)

this all has hit me very hard financially and it has also caused some distrust in local mechanics/shops and quite a discouragement as this is about the fourth time I basically wasted my year's savings on 3 bad engines with now the third time I having to swap this engine...

edit: this has always been running on 92octane!!!!

Last edited by DjTy; 04-05-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:20 PM

It would appear by your location you're very limited on where you can go and who you can use for engine work. Time to learn to DIY as much as possible. It'll take longer, but you'll know it's done right and be proud of your effort. I feel your pain. I've been fighting a balance problem on a stroker 305 to 334 and it looks like the company that sold me the kit years ago ( now out of business ) sent me a 454 flex plate. I just learned of the little difference in 400/454 flex plates thanks to this site and I believe it was "Crosley" who spelled it out in the thickness of the weight. It's been a long project too. Who can you trust?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 PM

Hyper pistons need to have .0065 x bore= end gap street use
4.030 x .0065=.030 end gap; if the rings were not filed to fit with this clearance they will butt and jerk the ring land out. These pistons hold a lot of heat on the top ring.

drag is .0075 x bore

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.