$3567.30 Phone Bill !!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Dream as if you'll live 4ever

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

$3567.30 Phone Bill !!!

I got my phone bill last week and I almost had a heart attack!
My 15 year old son had been accepting collect calls from his girlfriend who was visiting her Mom in Las Vegas for the summer. I knew he was on the phone a lot but he had been buying phone cards to call her with. I could have ripped him a new *******
I don't have any long distance on my phone.
I told him He would have to get a job and all of his paycheck was going to the bill until it's paid, There goes his plans to get a cell phone as well as getting his Trans Am on the road for a while, The one I bought for him a few months back, There also goes our plans for the Crusin the Coast in October. He starts school Monday and if He gets a job I'm afraid his grades will suffer, His grades are'nt that great anyway. I don't know what to do! I don't have the money to pay it, I can't borrow the money to pay it. My wife is going to nursing collage and does't have a job, I may have to sell my Belair if I can't work something out. I called ATT to see if I could get them to maybe give me a break and credit it or at least reduce it some but no they gave me a hard time and told me to make payment arrangements with my Verizon who is my local service provider and does the billing. I'm going to call them today.
I know my son didn't mean to run up such a bill but He's KILLING ME!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Galaxie Man

Last photo:

Why in the world would you NOT have a long distance block on a phone if you have a teen aged child and no long distance plan? Teenager = lots of phone calls

I have a new plan through Verison that allow UNLIMITED national calls. I can call anywhere in the US and my bill is always only $60.00
Old 08-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Kids will be Kids BUT......The TA would be in the front yard today with a for sale sign in it. Anything he has of value would be up for sale. He would be on the phone with his girlfriend to see if she is going to help pay. Every weekend he would be mowing yards, doing yardwork, doing anything he could for a buck. They know. Most don't care. Nothing against you or your son Rodrunner but kids nowadays think everything comes free. You should not have to sell your car because of something he did. There are jobs out there for kids and he'd pay for the mistake he made. Good Luck!!! You are going to need it on this one.

Kevin
Old 08-22-2003, 10:52 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Ouch!!!!!!!
Don't sell the Bel Air, if anything, sell the trans am. Having him get a job to pay off the bill is a good idea. If you pay it off for him, it won't teach him anything except that you are able to bail him out of trouble. Everyone learns the hard way, and this seems pretty hard!
Old 08-22-2003, 03:13 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

bummer.......

it was his bill, sell his car.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Dial down the middle, collect!

Just who did your son think was paying for these phone calls? I have instructed my children to only accept emergency collect phone calls from family members, no friends or acquaintances.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 08-22-2003, 03:29 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Sell the kid, keep the car. you sell him think of the money you'll be able to sink into the bel-air! Hell, if you don't want to sell, how about rent? He better get hitched to that little kitten for that kind of coin! She better turn out to be a doctor or lawyer or madam or some high dollor honey in the future to be loading the slot machine this early. Good God gordo! Less yackin' more crackin' on 'dem books son. You can contemplate caressin that kitten' at a later date, stupidities forever, you can you can feast on them petite beasts whenever.

HK - You stabb'em I'll slabb'em
Old 08-22-2003, 04:14 PM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

I agree with Kevin45. His girlfriend should be footing half the bill, after all SHE was the one making COLLECT calls, and they should BOTH know better. Definately sell the Camaro! He can get a jog next summer and buy another one.

My .02

Chickie.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:56 PM
Crazy Canadian, woohooooo!

Last photo:

I agree with Kevin, sell the T/A. Better yet make him sell it. I would supervise the selling though so that he actually gets it sold. Maybe the potential buyer will be buying it for their son, this would definitely leave a mark with your son and teach him to appreciate other peoples expenses. As far as making him get a job, that is probably best left for summer so he can concentrate on school.

Marc
Old 08-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Arrow

I agree with both selling the T/A and making his girlfriend pay half. One of the biggest problems with today's kids are their parents (not addressed to you).They don't want to make the kids responsible for their actions, so they grow up thinking there are no consequences, show him there are. At that age his girlfriend will probably have a new boyfriend before long, especially if she is asked to pay. If she thinks that she should get a free ride it would be good for your son to see it now...instead of later.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:56 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Let's say you sold the car, then later down the line the girl is long gone. That would be enough to drive him insane thinking about his 'investment' he put into that girl. Could be enough to make him very bitter with you later on. If you're lucky, the phone company will let you make payments of like a hundred bucks a month until it's paid. Give him the oppertunity to scrape up the hundred bucks a month (not very hard to do either). Tell him to consider the car pawned to you until he pays off the bill. And just like the pawn shop, the car is 'secured' until payment in full. Miss one payment and........
Old 08-22-2003, 11:10 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Wow!!!!

I agree with Kev, man! Put him to work!! Please don't sell your car! I think that might make things worse, and down the road, even though he's your son, you might hold that against him. I'd put his TA up for sale in a heartbeat!

That was a heavy bill! Good luck!

Seņor
Old 08-23-2003, 08:37 AM
Dream as if you'll live 4ever

Last photo:

Thanks Guys, I guess I just needed some advice. After all kids don't come with instructions. As for my Belair I'm NOT going to sell that! What was I thinking? As for the T/A I've only paid a 1/3 on it
so it's not completely ours yet but I like the idea of pawning it. I took him yesterday job hunting. Gonna do it again today! Hope he gets the job at Advance Auto That way I could get the bill paid and a discount on parts! I'm gonna check on that $60 plan DragTour69XL mentioned. Between school and work he won't have time for the phone!
Old 08-23-2003, 10:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

We use global fibernet long distance, 3.5c a min., free toll free number that charges the same rate, no monthly charges, also can cancel the local charges from your carrier for providing long distance service. with a stepdaughter 3 states away and relatives scattered everywhere, our bill is cheap, never more than 12 bucks a month. check them out. No, this isn't an ad and I don't get anything out of it, I've turned many people on to this service, I wish I could get a commission..lol. Danhttp://www.globalfibernet.com/index....3T0A910M0GDA62
Old 08-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

The worst part about the whole thing is that you won't be able to go to Crusin the Coast. They already have around 5,000 rods registered & still have over a month to go until the signup deadline.

<===== Lives about 1/4th of a mile from one of the gathering spots for Crusin the Coast.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.