Hot Rod Forum banner

36 chevy coupe, to shave handles or not

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ogre 
#1 ·
I am starting my first project and was reading that shaving door handles are a pain in the but because they dont always work. Is it because the use of cheap product or bad install. Not for sure if its worth all the trouble for the cool look. I want to but want some input on doing so. :welcome:

#2 ·
I shaved mine a long time ago and have had issues on and off mostly with small solenoids burning out.
Rather stressful when there is smoke coming out of the inner door panel.
Since I went to 45lb solenoids that problem has been solved...touch wood and whistle....:D
I used a Vehicle Power Accessories 80158-35DP setup.
Instructions told me to mount the relays in the doors but I later moved them and fuses to the engine bay and used fusible links......after the smoke.:pain:

Fried solenoid.

Solenoid compare.

Solenoid asm. before mounting in lower inner door panel.

Connect to door latch.

#4 ·
use a quality solenoid as noted above and heavy duty (and proper) wiring; or go old school and use a cable mounted under the car. One of my friend had shaved handles with poppers like Malc; and he also had an 'oh *****' cable actuated handle under the car, in case the battery dies (something to really think about) Another friend of mine has Autoloc poppers and no back up plan...bad idea.
Third option is to use a modern (small) flushmounted door handle. This takes some trickery as you have to modify the linkage to make them work; or steal the guts from the donor car. Common door handles are Beretta B-pillar mounted handles, late 80s/early 90s GM truck door handles(flat rectangle); Ive also seen on 'Musclecar' TV program where they used a '99/'00 Buick Regal oval shaped door handle. Perhaps a PT Snoozer handle or (on the avant garde side) a Viper roadster handle (very small with a pushputton)

Fourth option: get your handles rechromed and be done with it

#6 ·
I've never had shaved handles, though done a few for others. But honestly there is no way I would have them without a manual override. A cable running out the bottom of the door or body. It could be completely hidden yet easily accessible if the battery were to go dead or you went swimming with the remote in your pocket or something (as me how I know).

I think the biggest question to ask yourself, how does shaving the handles fit in with the rest of the car? Is there a "Theme" going that shaving the handles would add to? Or is it "just because", or worse yet is it going to go against any kind of theme you have going.

Often, if you ask me it is done "just because" and makes no sense what so ever.

Something like a stone stock bodied 57 Chevy, HUH? I have seen it, it makes no sense.

Brian

#8 ·
i used bicycle cables as malc used, however i used cable adjusters on both ends of the cable.
similar to these on amazon.com, these secure the sheathing and have a nut that allows you to lock it into a hole drilled in a bracket.
the sheathing allows you to route a safety release thru your door/jamb loom to a spot under the hood or under the car.
i have buttons in my truck to electrically open both doors, a remote fob, a safety cable run under the hood and another safety cable run in the door panels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.