36 chevy coupe, to shave handles or not - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

36 chevy coupe, to shave handles or not

I am starting my first project and was reading that shaving door handles are a pain in the but because they dont always work. Is it because the use of cheap product or bad install. Not for sure if its worth all the trouble for the cool look. I want to but want some input on doing so.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I shaved mine a long time ago and have had issues on and off mostly with small solenoids burning out.
Rather stressful when there is smoke coming out of the inner door panel.
Since I went to 45lb solenoids that problem has been solved...touch wood and whistle....
I used a Vehicle Power Accessories 80158-35DP setup.
Instructions told me to mount the relays in the doors but I later moved them and fuses to the engine bay and used fusible links......after the smoke.

Fried solenoid.

Solenoid compare.

Solenoid asm. before mounting in lower inner door panel.

Connect to door latch.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Use VW Beetle starter solenoids... plenty of power and they work. Stay away from the cheap Chinese junk like Autoloc and others....
Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 AM

Last photo:

use a quality solenoid as noted above and heavy duty (and proper) wiring; or go old school and use a cable mounted under the car. One of my friend had shaved handles with poppers like Malc; and he also had an 'oh *****' cable actuated handle under the car, in case the battery dies (something to really think about) Another friend of mine has Autoloc poppers and no back up plan...bad idea.
Third option is to use a modern (small) flushmounted door handle. This takes some trickery as you have to modify the linkage to make them work; or steal the guts from the donor car. Common door handles are Beretta B-pillar mounted handles, late 80s/early 90s GM truck door handles(flat rectangle); Ive also seen on 'Musclecar' TV program where they used a '99/'00 Buick Regal oval shaped door handle. Perhaps a PT Snoozer handle or (on the avant garde side) a Viper roadster handle (very small with a pushputton)

Fourth option: get your handles rechromed and be done with it
Old 07-11-2012, 07:26 AM

Last photo:

Mine open with a remote but if I leave it inside the car I have a hidden button to open the driverīs door.
Having a 3rd gen Camaro the rear hatch is also a way in.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,215 Times in 1,072 Posts
I've never had shaved handles, though done a few for others. But honestly there is no way I would have them without a manual override. A cable running out the bottom of the door or body. It could be completely hidden yet easily accessible if the battery were to go dead or you went swimming with the remote in your pocket or something (as me how I know).

I think the biggest question to ask yourself, how does shaving the handles fit in with the rest of the car? Is there a "Theme" going that shaving the handles would add to? Or is it "just because", or worse yet is it going to go against any kind of theme you have going.

Often, if you ask me it is done "just because" and makes no sense what so ever.

Something like a stone stock bodied 57 Chevy, HUH? I have seen it, it makes no sense.

Brian
Old 07-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Last photo:

With all my other body stick on stuff gone, shaved handles made it just that little more sleeker.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

i used bicycle cables as malc used, however i used cable adjusters on both ends of the cable.
similar to these on
amazon.com amazon.com
, these secure the sheathing and have a nut that allows you to lock it into a hole drilled in a bracket.
the sheathing allows you to route a safety release thru your door/jamb loom to a spot under the hood or under the car.
i have buttons in my truck to electrically open both doors, a remote fob, a safety cable run under the hood and another safety cable run in the door panels.

Tags
chevy, chevy coupe

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.