36 ford engine swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 03:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

36 ford engine swap

I am getting started on swapping the old 21stud flathead out of my car. Going to go with the usual sbc and th350. My question is my car has a 3" drop front axle from chassis engineering,21 stud flathead w/ a c4 behind and a saginaw steering box out of a 65 chevelle. We naturelly had the exhaust clearence problems with the original build but had a set of stainless headers built and problem solved! Now with the engine swap I was wondering if anyone on here has used the mounts that chassis engineering builds that they claim helps with this problem? Any input greatly appreciated in advance Thanks Q

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010, 05:37 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Kind of hard to answer that question since you gave no information on your front suspension other than it was a 3 inch drop. Is this the I beam axle with the full three inch drop or do you have some of the drop in the spindles? Is the wish bone split? Have you modified the X member and what kind of tranny are you planning? I have had the same Saginaw box in a 36 Ford with a standard I beam axle and a small block Chevy with no exhaust problems. Used the truck Rams Horn manifolds. Not sure what the 3 inch drop is going to do to change the clearances in relation to the frame/motor tranny. I can see a ground clearance problem on the down tube from the manifold or headers.

Trees
Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

All the drop is in the axle as far as I can remember I dont recall any drop spindles it has a chassis engineering leaf spring with reversed eyelets planning on a 350 turbo transmission.Wishbones are split.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:48 PM

Chassis engineering offsets the driver side motor mount forward to provide room for exhaust. I've used their motor mounts in conjunction with the wishbone split kit and x member / trans mount for sbc with 4" drop Super Bell axle. It works.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:26 AM

Last photo:

Ok, we are getting some more info. You will need to provide more room in the fire wall to get the motor back far enough for radiator clearance. You can replace the fire wall with a Bitc-hin (hyphen added so the foul word blocker will not X out) or Direct Sheet Metal one specifically for the SBC or you can fabricate your own. You want it to set back 3 inches further than the stock fire wall and slightly wider than the widest point from the outside of the installed heads/valve covers. This should not only give you a chance to run a mechanical fan, but should solve your header/steering sector clearance issue. You will definitely split your wishbone for either a auto or manual tranny, and you will need a bit of modification to the X member. If you want to be able to change out your tranny without pulling the motor, then the modification becomes much more extensive. I recommend this modification, otherwise, you have to pull the front end and motor in order to get the tranny out. If you are going to do an extensive mod on the X member, let me know and I will offer some suggestions.

Trees
Old 02-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

And do yourself a a favor, if you replace the firewall, get the one designated for a big block engine,regardless of your new powerplant, it is the same price, and your steering column will not come through on the angle tapering to the center of the firewall!! I learned that one the hard way, every xtra 1/4" is worth its weight in gold too!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

Hmmm!!! I must be doing something wrong. I have used the SBC firewall several times and never had any problems with the steering column exiting where I wanted it. The BBC would push it to the side, or I would have to take it through the roll.

Trees

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.