36 Ford Inner Panels - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2005, 03:08 PM
36 Dream

Last journal entry: The fire...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

36 Ford Inner Panels

This is a 36 Ford 5/w Business Coupe. At this point I have removed the lid and discovered that the bottom edge of the inner panel has corroded away. Note that while the pictures do not show the lid, it is in excellent condition, it is only the inner panel that is failing. I have also reached the conlusion that the coupe used to have a trunk and somewhere along the way it was converted to a rumble seat. This is why there are no factory hinges for the rumble seat (make shift hinge was installed -see pic) and remnants of the latch are on the bottom of the side of the lid.

I would like to maintain the rumble seat, however I do wish reproduction hinges I have acquired through MACs.

In pursuit of the best way to build back as close to factory as possible, I have the following questions:
1) Did Ford use the same inner panel for the rumble seat as they did for the trunk?
2) If yes, did they reverse the lid/panel? (It appears the new brackets fit the upper side of the inner panel better than they do the bottom side)
3) Is there a supplier for inner panels?
4) If no to #3, would covering the old inner panel with a sheet of aluminum be the best approach to stiffening the surface to which to mount the brackets? If not, then what other options are recommended?
5) Is there any source for measurement specifications on the lids?

Any information will be much appreciated...Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05378.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	5470   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05379.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	5471   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05392.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	5472  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2005, 03:14 PM
36 Dream

Last photo:

More Pics

Note these add'l. pics reflect the new bracket from MAC's, a spacer that was used in the make shift fabrication, and the location of the original trunk hinge.

Looks like I can't post more than three pics even if seperate emails....If anyone can help, I could post other pictures by removing existing pics...Just ask...
Old 06-20-2005, 03:29 AM

35-36 Coupes/roadsters with rumble seat share the same deck lid

The lid is not inverted when installing a rumble conversion kit (I often wonder where that mythological idea even came from!).
Some lids have built-in provision for both deck and rumble hinges, some only one or the other.
The inner panel is not available as a reproduction piece. Dismantling and replacing same would be a daunting task for most restorers/rodders.
I'm afraid you'll have to rely on your lid for measurement purposes unless you have a friend with another 35-36 Coupe.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:11 PM
36 Dream

Last photo:

Rumble Seat In Trouble

Thanks for the heads up...The mith regarding reversal of trunk lid may come from the fact that the edge of the inner panel fits the angle of the rumble hinge when what would be the upper edge on a trunk lid is at the bottom on a rumble lid. The lids are exactly the same, but it does appear that the inner panels are reversed depending on whether or not it is for a trunk or rumble.

You are right however that the inner panel appears to be the same for either the trunk or rumble.

On your advise, I don't think I'll chance the removal of the inner panel, but rather attempt to encapsulated it with a sheet of aluminum which can be attached along the edges with sheet metal screws or perhaps rivets...

Thanks for the response....

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.