36 Ford Pickup on a Ford Ranger Frame? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 07:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

36 Ford Pickup on a Ford Ranger Frame?

Good Morning. I am thinking of mounting the 36 Ford cab and front end I recently aquired, on a newer model Ford ranger P/U. I think the 36 is the nicest Pickup ever designed but want a nice riding dependible daily driver. I considered resurecting the origional frame but really would rather use a newer running gear. Has someone who has heard or seen this attempted please write. Fasteddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddy
Good Morning. I am thinking of mounting the 36 Ford cab and front end I recently aquired, on a newer model Ford ranger P/U. I think the 36 is the nicest Pickup ever designed but want a nice riding dependible daily driver. I considered resurecting the origional frame but really would rather use a newer running gear. Has someone who has heard or seen this attempted please write. Fasteddy.
Mounting that body on the Ranger frame would more than likely result in disapointment and a lot of frustration for you.

Use the original frame and upgrade the suspension.

Trees is a member here and has a superb '36 Ford pickup. Contact him for details. Do a search on this site for photos of his truck.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:30 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Fasteddy,

The Frame on the '36 Pickup is the same as the '35-'40 Car Frames, and they generally hold up pretty well (compared to the older versions)-I, too, vote for using your original Frame (if it's still i useable condition)-there are lots of pieces to fit your Frame out there, and I think that Chassis Engineering probably has the least expensive option-
Old 12-13-2006, 10:24 AM

Thanks guys,, But Has anyone tried this swap? I just finished a 64 Ranchero with the Heidt Mustang II. I am not impressed. My car handles poorly. I Have a lot of frame repair on my 36 . Rust . Although it is complete front to banjo rear. Thanks Fasteddy
Old 12-13-2006, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

Fasteddy,

Where in Colorado are you? If you don't get the response you wanted on this, I may know where there is a good Frame (depending on where you live)-
Old 12-13-2006, 03:34 PM

I am from Grand Junction. Thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Kruzin Karl

Last photo:

There was a company, I think it was called Thoroughbred, or something like that, which was mounting fiberglass Ford pickup bodies onto Ranger frames. Not sure if there body was the same as an original or not, and I seem to remember that the company had a really bad reputation.
Anyway, they used the older Ranger frame, which had the twin I-beam suspension. That suspension was sturdy, and dependable, but not really what you'd want under your truck for handling and ride.
There are much better options that will give you better ride and handling. 35-40 frames are easily found for under $300.00. Most people just upgrade to the Mustang II type suspension. You are the first I've ever heard that had a bad experience with a Heidts Mustang II suspension, are you sure it was installed correctly?
Well, no matter what you do, I wish you luck. I'm just starting on my 35 pickup myself.
Later - Karl.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

Fasteddy,

If you don't have any luck with your idea, let me know-I do believe I might be able to help you with a original Frame (about 300 Miles away), but I do go through Junction a lot, so I might be able to help get it to you-
Old 12-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Dont re-invent the wheel. The frames worked great from the factory, why wouldnt they work great for you? Get a different frame from any 36-40 Ford. Hit up ebay, your local classfieds, wherever you can find one. Just get the bare frame. Then you can mount everything from your old frame on the new one. I would suggest getting a better rear-end (10-bolt GM's or 9 inch Fords work great) if your upgrading engine. You can get front-end rebuild kits that'll make your car handle like fresh of the assembly line (back in '36 haha).
The ranger frarme, it might work it might not. What I can tell you for sure, everybody will notice that its sitting on a different frame. Either the wheels will stick out too much or not enough, or they wont be centered in the fenderwells etc. It HARD, very hard to make a frame swap look nice...

Mike
Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

there is a company that sells 1936 Ford P/U Fiberglass bodies that fit on ranger frames, but I do not know if there dimensions were " Adjusted " from original to fit the Ranger frame. the factory frame will be fine.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

The company that was building the 35-36 glass body was on a ranger frame. The back of the cab was notched on both sides for the Ranger frame because the frame sits higher in that area. You can put a 35 on the Ranger frame and do the same notch in the back of the cab. but you still have to make mounts for all the rest of the body parts. Either way, its a lot of work.

That company was out of Florida and used to advertise on street Rodder about 10 years ago.

Car frames (35-40) are the same except for 4 body mounts welded on the outside. Pickup frames (35-41) were the same as car frames but without the body mounts. The pickup cab is mounted on the frame through a piece of wood shaped to match the curve of the frame and the straight body floor.

I have 35 truck thats been waiting its turn for 21 years. Just got 2 many toys ahead of it.

Last edited by 2-manytoyzs; 12-13-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:32 AM

Thanks guys for the input. This type of dialog really helps. Unlike in the days of my youth I try to really plan these things out. Fasteddy
Old 12-17-2006, 11:16 PM

Last photo:

The Ford Ranger frame is best suited to the Bonus Builts (48-52 Ford pick-up). There is a 1" to 1 1/2" difference in the position of the front wheels. I believe the fiberglass body was made to compensate for this. I looked at the ranger frame when I was ready to do the swap on my 52 Ford pick-up. After seeing that the frame was unique to itself, and no other Ford parts will bolt up to it, I walked away from it. I later opted for an S-10 swap. No, the S-10 won't be a good swap for a 35 either. Look for a good 35-40 car or truck frame, and go from there. If you want IFS, power steering, and power disc brakes then you'll have to spend some money on an IFS system from a manufacturer or cheap out and get one from a donor car. There are a couple of dozen magazines out there that cater to the 30's pick-ups. If you still want to do a frame swap then check out my website and you can see how much work is involved.

www.geocities.com/lakota_circle_dancer/swap1
Old 12-18-2006, 01:17 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

enough money can do anything

I have seen some wild combos. 55 chevy on a 76 olds chassis,67 elcamino on a 74 blazer chassis with 44in super swampers and 500cuin caddilac engine,34 chevy sedan on chevelle chassis, and finally a 65 vw lengthened and widened and put on a cj5 jeep chassis. All these done by an old hippie body man down in mobile alabama. He has lots of time and many many years of experience 35plus. You would probably be better off upgrading the suspension. Fatman Fabrications could probably suggest the easiest upgrades for your application. Good luck. Brian
Old 12-18-2006, 08:04 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I recommend lakota's web site (see link in his post above) for anybody anticipating a frame swap like this. Good job on providing lots of detail and measurements. Hope to see the rest of the pictures and text soon.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.