36 Ford window patterns - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

36 Ford window patterns

I've been searching for a website for some window patterns for my 36 Ford 5 window coupe. I am getting no where. I had found some a few years back, I neglected to get them and now I'd like to find them again. All windows with the exception of the doors will be fixed. If anyone knows pf a website where I can find some patterns, let me know please.
Dan

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
I've been searching for a website for some window patterns for my 36 Ford 5 window coupe. I am getting no where. I had found some a few years back, I neglected to get them and now I'd like to find them again. All windows with the exception of the doors will be fixed. If anyone knows pf a website where I can find some patterns, let me know please.
Dan
I did a quick search but was unable to find a site with just the window patterns. Below are three links of places you can either buy the glass from or you might be able to get the patterns from them. Hope this helps some. I have purchase glass thru Mac's for a Model 'A', but have no experience with the other two vendors.

Mac's Auto

Sanders Repro Glass

Classic Flat Glass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

My wife has emailed 3-4 vendors asking if they would sell patterns, nope. One actually got hostile, condescending. I had found a site about 5 years ago that had them, maybe off ebay, I should have bought them then. My glass guy is also looking, we may have to start doing the cardboard trace out thing. He's a busy guy, I may have to wait til he gets some free time. Thanks Frisco, I appreciate the effort.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

My glass guy will never work from a pattern, the car's in the 30's had so many different coach builders, he states the patterns are only a starting place. My glass man makes a pattern with doorboard, and then cuts and polishes the glass. it's all flat safety glass,I have never encountered a problem getting glass made up
Old 05-08-2009, 02:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

There's no reason why you can't make your own pattern out of masonite. A TRUE hot Rodder wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Brian's right, there is so much variation that outside templates never fit anything....
I always make my own patterns from masonite or 1/4 MDF.
It makes glass cutting idiotproof for the guy cutting it. Also makes it easy for me to check the cut at the glass shop before I pay for it and get it back to the shop to install, and find that it is wrong...( you'd be surprised how many glass shops can't cut to a template.)

For doors, I cut a piece as wide as what will slide up and down in between the channels, put the bottom in the lower channel, then whittle away at the top until it will roll all the way up. Trace the window opening on the pattern, cut the pattern about 5/16 bigger than your traced line, (or whatever the depth of the gasket/channel is), now you have a mockup that can be used as a template.

Side quarter and rear windows are the same, trace the opening, cut the pattern bigger by whatever overlap you have to get a good fit in the gasket, and test fit it before you send it to teh glass shop.

Windshield frames, let the glass guy cut it to the frame. Flush fit windows get the same treatment as a rear window.

AS1 laminated ONLY for windshields. Tempered glass is custom, and takes a post heating, so you'll wind up with AS1 all around if it comes from a glass shop, unless they send your pattern off to a shop that does tempered glass.

A few of the templates I've made, a 2 1/2 chop 34, chopped 34 flush windshield , 35 ford fixed rear using quarter window gasket.

Later, mikey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0220.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	38074  

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Dinger, I had some patterns at one time but have let them go over the years. I will do some checking for you. The door glass on your coupe are not as easy as they sound because of the "funky chicken" they do with the original risers. If you are going electric that is a straight up and down, you don't have to worry about the above. There is an outfit called Nu Relics that makes new risers that bolt to the original holes in the door panel, use GM electric motors and the work like the original. Another member of this board is building a 36 5 window and has all the glass out. Send him a PM and he may be able to trace them for you for a good start. Also, a good glass cutter can do your windshield if you take him the frame and the quarter window pattern can be made as Mikey explained. The rear window is sort of like the door windows in that it rolls up and down so you need to allow for the full up position of the lower channel. Installing the rear window mechanism and glass can be tricky!

Trees
Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Dinger, I had some patterns at one time but have let them go over the years. I will do some checking for you. The door glass on your coupe are not as easy as they sound because of the "funky chicken" they do with the original risers. If you are going electric that is a straight up and down, you don't have to worry about the above. There is an outfit called Nu Relics that makes new risers that bolt to the original holes in the door panel, use GM electric motors and the work like the original. Another member of this board is building a 36 5 window and has all the glass out. Send him a PM and he may be able to trace them for you for a good start. Also, a good glass cutter can do your windshield if you take him the frame and the quarter window pattern can be made as Mikey explained. The rear window is sort of like the door windows in that it rolls up and down so you need to allow for the full up position of the lower channel. Installing the rear window mechanism and glass can be tricky!

Trees
Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick responses.

George, the guy doing my glass, asked if I had the old glass or any patterns, he's a hellof a nice guy and I thought I might be able to get the patterns. He's got the front frame already, I was hoping to find the rest of them tho. The rear and qtr. glass will be fixed, non moving, I think they will have to be cut a little larger.

Trees, was this the same guy looking for help on the rear window mechanism? If he needs one, I think I can find mine, he can have it.

I am jazzed, been wet sanding most of the day, I hope to shoot the shell this weekend, the fenders and grill are done!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.