Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '36 Hudson Terraplane Front Suspension Question
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 04:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yes, the hubs and brakes were part of what was being pointed out to me...

Terraplanes were very popular here in Australia. Many people raced them, I have an article somewhere about all the Terraplanes that were raced back in the day.

I actually drove one of them, it was based on a '35 IIRC and was one of the most-raced cars in all of Australia for years. I competed in a hillclimb back in 1977 driving it, great fun, it had a canvas single seat body on it and a couple of carbies, open exhausts and a lot of old Terraplane stuff down there doing its thing. The cork clutch was hard to master at the starts!

To keep the old Hudson engines alive at the revs they used to run, they ran low-pressure oil pumps driven by the fanbelt with a copper tube up the side of the crankcase. Little holes in the copper tube aimed squirts of oil at the differs on the con-rods and put oil into the bearings which wouldn't have been there otherwise because the trough in the oil caused by the rod going through it at 6,000rpm couldn't close over before the rod came around the next time.

That car I drove went through a bunch of metamorpheses. It started its racing life with a canvas roadster body, then had a neat steel body built with a later grille, then that was replaced with another canvas one. Through the fifties it remained like that, but in the sixties the steel body went back on, along with cycle guards, and a Y-block was stuck into it to race it as a sports car. Finally it was returned to its 1948-57 shape for Historic racing and that's how I drove it.

Today it's covered in dust, but Peter assures me that he's found another block and he'll get it running again soon.