Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '36 Hudson Terraplane Front Suspension Question
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Wayne

Last journal entry: Test Fit of "new" Engine
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

'36 Hudson Terraplane Front Suspension Question

I asked this before but didnt get any responses so I figured Id try again before I jump in with all two feet and possibly really screw up or have something that's really unsafe.

I have a 36 Hudson Terraplane 2-Door Sedan Im putting together. To get away from the original I-beam solid front axle, I have a front suspension/cross member from a '76 Toyota pickup that bolted onto the original Toyota chassis - I didn't have to cut it out. In the attached photos, it's 'C' clamped to the frame rails of my Terraplane to check the fit and get it exact as it will mount in the Terraplane frame. As you can see, the A arms/control arms are NOT sitting straight in line with the chassis they are at an angle. However, without making any tie rod adjustments at all, the tires sit straight - as they should. Looking at the photos I've attached, will this work or not?

The Toyota chassis went straight to the front and then both frame rails turned out where this cross member bolted on. Because of the mounting of my front fenders, I can't spread my Terraplane frame rails to match the Toyota cross member mounting angle.

If it will work, I know I have to weld some bracing on it so that I can bolt and weld it under my Terraplane chassis - after I box the rails. I also want to weld some 1/2-inch pipe sleeves inside the frame rails for the bolts to go through to keep the frame from squeezing down from the pressure of the bolts (or is this just overkill?).

The engine is a 3.8L V6 Ford with automatic transmission. I also have to modify the inner fenders so the smog pump and power steering pump will fit.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks muches,

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1777 (Medium).JPG
Views:	255
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	25937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1780 (Medium).JPG
Views:	231
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	25938   Click image for larger version