Hot Rod Forum banner

36 plymouth steering shaft

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  1957plymouthhemi 
#1 ·
I would like to get an aftermarket steering wheel for my 36 plymouth.
The stock wheel is frozen onto the 1/2 '' shaft. I can remove the nut, but the
wheel will not budge despite several attempts with varouis pullers.
The 1/2'' shaft is threaded at the end for the nut. It is basically a 36'' length
of 1/2'' round pipe within a hollow tube that enters the steering box.
The section that enters the steering box has a worm gear attached. It is imposible to remove the shaft without disassembling the steering box.
My question is :
I know I have to cut the housing and shaft to remove the steering wheel,
but will I be able to adapt an aftermarket wheel to this 1/2'' round pipe?

#2 ·
Steering shaft

Hammerhand said:
I would like to get an aftermarket steering wheel for my 36 plymouth.
The stock wheel is frozen onto the 1/2 '' shaft. I can remove the nut, but the
wheel will not budge despite several attempts with varouis pullers.
The 1/2'' shaft is threaded at the end for the nut. It is basically a 36'' length
of 1/2'' round pipe within a hollow tube that enters the steering box.
The section that enters the steering box has a worm gear attached. It is imposible to remove the shaft without disassembling the steering box.
My question is :
I know I have to cut the housing and shaft to remove the steering wheel,
but will I be able to adapt an aftermarket wheel to this 1/2'' round pipe?
Have you tried hitting the puller with a hammer when it is tight, also put some thing that will loosen the rust a little. You might have to give it a good hit. I would not suggest cutting the shaft unless you have another one.

Bob

#3 ·
Rather than cut the column and shaft, just cut the steering wheel off. You should be able to cut thru the plastic you will probably want to cut a few big chunks out then carefully cut thru the splined collar until your down to the shaft. An air or electric cut off wheel should easily do the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.