360 headers for a 71 Valiant Scamp. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2004, 10:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

360 headers for a 71 Valiant Scamp.

Hi guys,

I need to know if there is a company out there making headers that fits a 1971 Plymouth valiant body with a 360 engine but that won't have us cutting inner fenders or do anything to the body which we wanna keep original. Company names would be appreciated, and all prices welcomed as long as it fits requirements for original fenders.

Thanks guys!
Yannick on the Behalf of Benoit with a 1971 Scamp...

Advertisement

Based on Homer's Philosophical writings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

actually, pretty much any big-name company will probably have something for you, that's not uncommon to see a LA motor in a scamp. Even if they don't list the specific combo in summit, they usually have them if you call them up-

K
Old 06-07-2004, 02:39 PM

Last photo:

I know most companmies make some, but what about the clearance from the headers? Is there a better fit/quality company that some valiant guys would favor above others?

I know I can put in a Cheap header set, but I wanna know if anyone has experience with their Valiant as to what brand do they recommend etc..etc...

I've seen some cheap headers that were like 1/4-1/2" away from the steering, which is what I'm trying to avoid if possible.

Old 06-07-2004, 04:01 PM

junkyard? or ebay it...

if you want all original just go to the junkyards in your area, find 360's and take measurements, and with the measurements you should have taken at home of your own check it out. take a set home and clean them up ie sanding them etc and paint them whatever color you want with heat paint works good for alot of people

i know my hedman headers gave me a full inch and a half away from the steering column in my 1970 dodge charger 440, but i had to move my automatic shifting linkage up 2 inches to make it fit.. made alot of extra work which pissed me off but oh well
Old 06-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Stock they came with a 318 but the manual lists them as optionable with the 340 (very rare if there were ever any made, I've never seen one).

Your sure it's a 360? Any 318 header that fits that body style should fit i.e. Dart.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:45 PM

thats right... 360 replaced the 340 in 73......

so this was a replacement engine? its nothing unusual 360's are junky 340's and alot of people dropped the 318's for the 360's cheap upgrade less horsepower and torque than a 340 but much easier to find than a 340... heh so pityful
Old 06-07-2004, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

It was originaly a 318, but my friend wants a 360 for power but he "strongly stated" that he wants to keep modifications bolt-on so everything can be undone if need be. I personnaly would have tube the chassis and taken inners out and put a 440 in it, but thats just me, and the fact remains, its his car and his project, I'm trying to help him out if its ever possible...

He really wanted a 340, but try finding a that engine around our parts nowadays is next to impossible for a decent price. So He decided to go 360 because he doesn't wanna go big block and have huge modifications to do. Hence, this is where we are, looking for parts that will fit without modifiying things...if possible again...

Thanks for the info so far guys.

Yan

Old 06-07-2004, 09:17 PM

yea 340's are like 440's really hard to find for a good price :/ 360's are like smaller 400's if u ask me. but it is a decent power upgrade to go from that poor mans 318 to a poor mans 360

Luckily for me i just found a old *** junkyard that has like 6 400's in decent shape and 3 440's.... they have like 4 340's... still in the original cars. this place hasnt advertised in the newspaper since 1975, this old guy runs the place he started working there in 1940 and in 1960 he bought it from the owner... heh poor old money grubby old guy.

I dont know but it might be a problem to find the exact fit for that engine in your car do just do what alot of people do buy the headers for the car and then adjust them yourself to fit.

Adjustment meaning a hammer it will look fine

Last edited by Journier; 06-07-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

I put a set of PAW $100.00 specials on my 360 powered Duster. They fit fine but required some mild hammer work as they always do. When a manaufacturer lists a set of headers that "fit" your car it really means can be made to fit.

The header sits close to the power steering box and required mild massaging to clear. The biggest problem was gettting to clear the steering linkage as you have to disconnect the tie rods and re-attach after installing each header. The tie rods run through the upper and lower header tubes. Again some hammer work was required to clear some of the tubes for the tops of the tie rods.

You will most likely have to install new motor mounts too as the originals have probably sagged an 1/8 to a 1/4" which will cause the headers to lay right on top of the steering linkage.

They also fit close to the passenger torision bar with stock diameter 318 springs. If you are running the 340 or larger diameter torsion bars additional hammering will be required where the pipes clear the spring.

Oil filter clearance did not require the right angle adapter. I was able to use a long or short filter mounted directly to the block.

No body mods were required, basically a bolt in mod.

Also, 360's are not junk motors. They are basically stroked 340's. 360's used 340 heads but since most 360's were two barrels they had slightly smaller intake valves. All mopar high performance crate motors are 360's and I believe some are rated at 385hp. How many tired 340's generate those kind of numbers.

If given the choice of building a 340 or a 360 I would take the 360 every time. More cubes=more power. If all 340's came with two barrel carbs and 318 cams like the 360 did those would have been called the "junky" motors. Also, there were plenty of 1973 340's that came with cast cranks and small valve heads too. In stock form the 360 was just like a lackluster 2 barrel 400 chevy small block. Bolt on the right parts though and you have a powerhouse.

Last edited by Goldduster360; 06-17-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:52 PM

cough junk

i know you love it
Old 06-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Goldduster360
I put a set of PAW $100.00 specials on my 360 powered Duster. They fit fine but required some mild hammer work as they always do. When a manaufacturer lists a set of headers that "fit" your car it really means can be made to fit.

The header sits close to the power steering box and required mild massaging to clear. The biggest problem was gettting to clear the steering linkage as you have to disconnect the tie rods and re-attach after installing each header. The tie rods run through the upper and lower header tubes. Again some hammer work was required to clear some of the tubes for the tops of the tie rods.

You will most likely have to install new motor mounts too as the originals have probably sagged an 1/8 to a 1/4" which will cause the headers to lay right on top of the steering linkage.

They also fit close to the passenger torision bar with stock diameter 318 springs. If you are running the 340 or larger diameter torsion bars additional hammering will be required where the pipes clear the spring.

Oil filter clearance did not require the right angle adapter. I was able to use a long or short filter mounted directly to the block.

No body mods were required, basically a bolt in mod.

Also, 360's are not junk motors. They are basically stroked 340's. 360's used 340 heads but since most 360's were two barrels they had slightly smaller intake valves. All mopar high performance crate motors are 360's and I believe some are rated at 385hp. How many tired 340's generate those kind of numbers.

If given the choice of building a 340 or a 360 I would take the 360 every time. More cubes=more power. If all 340's came with two barrel carbs and 318 cams like the 360 did those would have been called the "junky" motors. Also, there were plenty of 1973 340's that came with cast cranks and small valve heads too. In stock form the 360 was just like a lackluster 2 barrel 400 chevy small block. Bolt on the right parts though and you have a powerhouse.
Finally someone who knows what they are talking about, thank you.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.