Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 37 Chev with Mustang II Alignment Question
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
I didn't know a Mustang II wasn't a real car..

And yes they have adjustment on the bottom a-arms on REAL cars.. But I bet the center of the ball joints are still in line once it's set..
I was talking about an adjustable strut/locator bar OR the upper control arm. Any way you do it, moving the control arm moves the ball joint, that is what you are doing when you move the control arm. The alignment is simply the location of the upper and lower pivot points, be it upper and lower ball joints on this car, or lower ball joint and an untouchable upper point on a macpherson strut car. If you move the upper or the lower control arm, you move the upper or lower ball joint/pivot point.

That is how you get the alignment, by moving those ball joint locations.

I couldn't find any adjustable Mustang II but found earlier Mustang ones.

I have no idea why I put "real", it's a sarcastic remark of mine about things like "real" parts stores. It wasn't needed there because I love those little Mustang II's! But many cars and trucks the lower control arm moves with eccentric washers or even just slotted holes. Simply loosen up the bolt, move the arm over and tighten it back up, the rear of a Saturn SV1 does this as an example. Many late model cars have an adjustable lower control arm very much like this one with the strut rod, the bushing at the crossmember has an eccentric washer that pushes the control arm in and out to get the camber desired. The lower ball joint is being moved in and out to get that camber.

Most A arms like on a Chevy truck have upper and lower A arms with full eccentric adjustment top and bottom.

I am worried about this SAI because that means that an inner pivot point has been moved in or out some how without effecting the caster or camber being all that those are real close.

How can the SAI be off 9 degrees! The only answer is the inner mounts are different from one side to the other along with a bent spindle or different mounting points at the inner side of the control arms! Being all those points are not adjustable, the spindle would have to be bent and the point mount moved, at least that is all I can imagine.

If this readout had included "Included angle" we would have a lot better idea. But something is seriously screwed up.