Hot Rod Forum banner

Is this '37 two door Chevy coupe worth HotRodding?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
I was driving on a country back road in Wis. one day last week and came across a 1937 Chevy two door coupe body (shell only), no doors, front clip, frame, or trunk lid. The floorboards are completely rotted out but the rest of the shell is quite solid. The car had been setting for most of twenty years I was told by the guy who GAVE it to me (FREE). He said he was told it was a Volkswagen so he didn't bother to do anything with it. It took 4 people to carry the shell up a twenty foot embankment to the road. I brought it home to do further inspection. It has a few big dents and some rot at the very bottom between the doorway and rear fenderwell. Otherwise actually quite solid considering it sat in the woods for almost two decades. Lets hear some opinions,,,,,, How many people would still make a HotRod from something like this? It will obiously take some time and labor. I am considering building a WIDE tire, open engine HotRod so rear fenders and front fenders wouldn't be needed. Also, I'm thinking of fabricating a trunk lid and molding it right to the body so all I would really need would be floorboards, frame, doors and glass.Thanks in advance for the opinions. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

#2 ·
37 Chevy

I'd do it. Buy yourself a good street rod rolling chassis and you have got it made. That would be different without the fenders. I'd say you will probably still spend another $10 grand UNLESS something that has been talked about & posted in the past, if you could use a chevy s-10 2wd chassis. I would bet they would be real close, and a lot cheaper. Pick up a S-10 in a junk yard for $500 and throw the body away. You've got a body that can be fixed and not a dime in it so you have a great start!

#3 ·
Doesn't sound promising...............by the time (and money) that you spend on replacing all the missing stuff, you could have bought a "fixer-upper" that was all there.

With that said, people have started with less.................

#4 ·
How many 'fixer uppers' have you found for under 10 grand that didn't need a total frame off restoration in the end?
At least this way he's starting off with a frame off resto and not releying on someone elses word and work.
Especially something that old.

Pictures would help though.

#5 ·
I'll see if I can get a couple of pictures on here this evening. In regards to buying a fixer upper, at least with this one I don't have to spend any time with disassembly (ha ha ha). I was already contemplating an S-10 frame. There is a huge salvage yard near me and I could probably even get the frame for $0.00 because I know the guy real well that works there. With this frame I would already have independant front suspension. Also, the floorboards on a 37 Chevy are almost flat so that part seems like it would be fairly simple. Right now I'm kinda weighing the pros and cons ( should I be RODDING ,,,, OR ,,,,should this coupe be ROTTING ? HA HA HA HA :thumbup: ). I certainly don't mind spending the time in my GARAGE MAHAL,,,,,(get it,,,, Taj Mahal :confused: ), I just feel like I should do something with it.

#7 ·
You'll need a "url" address where you have the photo. Then click on the "IMG" button on the posting page and put the address there, hit OK and you are good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.