Is this '37 two door Chevy coupe worth HotRodding? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2004, 07:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is this '37 two door Chevy coupe worth HotRodding?

I was driving on a country back road in Wis. one day last week and came across a 1937 Chevy two door coupe body (shell only), no doors, front clip, frame, or trunk lid. The floorboards are completely rotted out but the rest of the shell is quite solid. The car had been setting for most of twenty years I was told by the guy who GAVE it to me (FREE). He said he was told it was a Volkswagen so he didn't bother to do anything with it. It took 4 people to carry the shell up a twenty foot embankment to the road. I brought it home to do further inspection. It has a few big dents and some rot at the very bottom between the doorway and rear fenderwell. Otherwise actually quite solid considering it sat in the woods for almost two decades. Lets hear some opinions,,,,,, How many people would still make a HotRod from something like this? It will obiously take some time and labor. I am considering building a WIDE tire, open engine HotRod so rear fenders and front fenders wouldn't be needed. Also, I'm thinking of fabricating a trunk lid and molding it right to the body so all I would really need would be floorboards, frame, doors and glass.Thanks in advance for the opinions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2004, 08:16 PM

37 Chevy

I'd do it. Buy yourself a good street rod rolling chassis and you have got it made. That would be different without the fenders. I'd say you will probably still spend another $10 grand UNLESS something that has been talked about & posted in the past, if you could use a chevy s-10 2wd chassis. I would bet they would be real close, and a lot cheaper. Pick up a S-10 in a junk yard for $500 and throw the body away. You've got a body that can be fixed and not a dime in it so you have a great start!
Old 11-07-2004, 08:20 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Doesn't sound promising...............by the time (and money) that you spend on replacing all the missing stuff, you could have bought a "fixer-upper" that was all there.

With that said, people have started with less.................

Budget RVs
Old 11-07-2004, 10:49 PM
OddJob

Last photo:

How many 'fixer uppers' have you found for under 10 grand that didn't need a total frame off restoration in the end?
At least this way he's starting off with a frame off resto and not releying on someone elses word and work.
Especially something that old.

Pictures would help though.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:59 AM

Last photo:

I'll see if I can get a couple of pictures on here this evening. In regards to buying a fixer upper, at least with this one I don't have to spend any time with disassembly (ha ha ha). I was already contemplating an S-10 frame. There is a huge salvage yard near me and I could probably even get the frame for $0.00 because I know the guy real well that works there. With this frame I would already have independant front suspension. Also, the floorboards on a 37 Chevy are almost flat so that part seems like it would be fairly simple. Right now I'm kinda weighing the pros and cons ( should I be RODDING ,,,, OR ,,,,should this coupe be ROTTING ? HA HA HA HA ). I certainly don't mind spending the time in my GARAGE MAHAL,,,,,(get it,,,, Taj Mahal ), I just feel like I should do something with it.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

Can anyone tell me exactly how to post my pictures of this thing???
Old 11-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
You'll need a "url" address where you have the photo. Then click on the "IMG" button on the posting page and put the address there, hit OK and you are good to go.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.