3731539 X58??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Old'n'young

Wiki Edits: 0

3731539 X58???

hey guys if any of you are corvette fuelie freaks help me out with this. I have a set of heads that are casting number 3731539, date codes h 16 7, h 8 7, and X58 on the side of the head near exhaust ports.

I have been studing these heads for weeks now trying to get my history on them, and I know the 3731539 is a fuel injection head, and with the way the date codes are numbered that they were made in flint, but what throws me off is that they are date coded to 1957, but the x 58 didnt come till mid 58, early 59...

***?

well i have them for sale right now and they are in great working order..what are they worth? I have scene a few setas on ebay of the 539 go for between 500 and 2000, but none with the x 58..?

I hope this doesnt stump you and you give up to easily chevy Fans

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 09:31 PM
a shade tree mechanic

Last photo:

Here I found this article on the internet thought it might help you out.

Hello, I have a set of 1957 corvetgte or belair heads for sale. Head casting numbers are 3731539, while date codes are h 8 7 and h 16 7 and X58 near exhaust ports on outside of casting. They are complete and ran well before I pulled them one month ago. I would recomend a rebuild, there is some build up on valves. These heads were made in flint michigan which was the only place tto make the fuel injection heads. Great set for a numbers matching guy out there. Heads are complete. you can reach me at 608 533 2250, or 608 485 0576 ask for nathan. open to trades for other sbc's etc, or B.O email me for more pics, it wont let me put up alot cause image size. thanks
Old 06-26-2009, 09:34 PM
a shade tree mechanic

Last photo:

here is some more info I found

1957 3740997
3731539 220, 245, 250, & 270 Horsepower
283 Horsepower, Fuel Injection

I found this info at www.engineslimited.com
Old 06-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Old'n'young

hmm

for one thats my add to sell these heads, and for two, mister pro chevy that decided to answer this question, you havent gave me any more info or a price.

if there is anyone out there that knows more than this guy, please say something some what usefull..
Old 06-26-2009, 11:29 PM
a shade tree mechanic

Last photo:

first of all I wasn't trying to be mister pro chevy I was just trying to give you some info on the heads but I see you want to be a smart *** about it. I am sorry I misunderstood your question And further more I didn't know that was your ad to sell them You don't have your real name posted in here so I had no clue. I will make sure if you ever post anything again not to answer it. SOrry I was just trying to help you out. Trust me I won't make that mistake with you again. Good luck in finding out your info
Old 06-27-2009, 12:24 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaythanOldskool
with the way the date codes are numbered that they were made in flint
How does the date code say where they were cast?

Quote:
but what throws me off is that they are date coded to 1957, but the x 58 didnt come till mid 58, early 59
Do you think "x58" is a date code?

Quote:
i have them for sale right now
There's a place, Classifieds, for advertising them.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:19 AM
More for Less Racer

They are only going to be worth any decent amount of money to a matching numbers restoration nut,.... because they are a nothing head performance wise. They may have come on a Fuel-Injected 283, but they are small valve, small intake port, small intake runner size. Might have been the performance shizzit in 1958, but not now. Wouldn't even be worth a Franklin to me( and that is pushing it) unless i knew a resto #'s freak I could flip them to.

You might be asking your question on the wrong site. I would think a Corvette or Tri-Five forum would be more help.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Old'n'young

date codes and numbers matching

I am pretty aware for of the low performance that these heads are good for. Come on now. I dont mean to be cocky.

As far as your question about how the date code describes were they were made,

In the mid to late fiftys towanada made date codes on engines ending with two numbers for the year, such as h 17 57 , verse flint making engines with only one number for the year, such as h 17 7. Thats how you find out. Now if you really don know any classic chevy stuff, go to late great chevy shows or have any respect for general motors at all that gave you such a beautifull engine to customize, you would understand how to decifer the first real small blocks, and the last of them and all in between.

Flint was the plant to make all the fuel injection and high performance engines in the fiftys. Soo if you do have a set of 539s that are made in flint, there is a small chance thats what was actually on your car, thats why numbers matching guys get so crazy about it. If all the date codes match up also, there is a high possibility that thats the car that came of the factory floor fifty years ago after being modified so much in all those years, its tremendously rare.

next my BIG QUESTION THAT I STARTED WITH, why is there an x 58 on the side of them when the are dated to 57, and x 58 didnt come in to production till mid 58??

and I d say with the over all shape of these heads and were they were made alone with out the x 58 on the side would bring their worth between 500-2000 dollars. Theres a set on ebay right now with all the valves rusted in the casting for 500. They dont have the x 58. Mine are in good shape and are very mystreious. I found another 57 vette head that was bare, one head, gor for 1000 and it wasnt a x 58 either. Maybe mine was a factory expeirment like the few alluminum 283 heads that were made in 58 and 59. Extremely rare and worth more than a whole car its self.

they are for sale on a corvette site, as well as craigslist.

as for that guy that answered me first your a liar or very stupid to saty you didnt know that was my add. My name for one, were i live and all the info on the heads was identicle..NIICE, with that kinda of smarts i hope you dont answer any more of my questions as is you dont in the first place dick snot sucker. sorry to call names thats inmature for a website, but I am only 20 years of age, and allready feel more mature than this nut.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:16 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Your heads are not "mystreious"(sic)- they are common.

You, however, seem to think you have something special. So be it. But that does not give you sanction to come here and act like a jerk.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Why do you have to call the man a Liar and other names, I belive he was really trying to help you, not cool not cool at all Cole
Old 06-27-2009, 12:56 PM

Last photo:

Wow, what an asshat

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.