377 destroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2004, 08:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

377 destroker

hello i was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what type of hp i can get out a chevy 377. my brother in law has a 4 bolt 400 and where going to build it for my 73 camaro. we are going with flatop pistons and 5.7 rods the heads im using are edelbrock 6089 which are 64cc 2.02 and i believe 1.60 exhaust. i have an rpm air gap intake with a barry grant 650 dbl pumper. the cam will probably be lunati w/515 lift. i just dont know much about the 377 and id like to get an idea. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2004, 08:57 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

even so there was recently much talk on this board discussing this engine, we used to run one mud racing, then drag racing, it was a far better engine for drag than mud racing. we later built a 400 and went back into mud racing, and we have several trophy`s to show for the effort.
Professional engine builders consider this a good street engine that acts and revs like a 350 but has improved power from 3000 RPM up due to the larger bore. if you plan to run this engine you`ll need spacer bearings since the 400`s mains are 2.650 and the 350 cranks are 2.450. However, I`d recommend you build the 400 with the parts you mentioned, especially in a street car as heavy as a camaro, on the street torque is king, torque is what moves all that sheet metal around, not horsepower. more cubes is always best.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:36 AM

yeh thats pretty much what im gathering but my brother in law is doing all the work for free plus hes giving me the block. hes got his heart set on that 377. i had all that **** on a stock 350 bottom end except the cam i had 455 lift and it went pretty good. we had plans to freshen it up and mabye throw in some pistons but the engine wasent what was told to me when bought so we cooked up a new plan. we were gonna build a 383 with my block but he wanted to build the 400 block he had. as long as its better than what i started out with ill bee happy. i just want plenty of bottom end power 0-60, you know.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

You are going to want a bigger carb. I would get at least a 700 CFM carb. 750-780 would be best.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

you can advance the cam 4 degrees which will give your 377 good bottom end.

the webbing is a little weak on 4 bolt 400's it would be best to splay the main caps, make sure you square deck the block and check both sides, SBC 400's are almost always .011 taller on one side. We've ran these engines for years if your rods and pistons are aftermarket and not stock you can tach this thing 7500 to 7800.

a 2800 to 3200 not over 3500 stall converter would be a good choice.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.