37yrs old Too Old to Learn About Cars - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2010, 10:18 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterbond

Gasoline- manufactures recommend premium gas for some cars, unless you are rolling a Corvette or a Viper, ignore that recommendation.
Most factory compression rations do not warrant anything more then 87 octane.
High octane is for high compression engines, anything below 12to1 compression works fine on 87(cheap stuff)
No disrespect intended, but that is an awfully "blanket" statement, and not necessarily correct. Other factors, such as carbon buildup, non functioning EGR valves, or prior modifications, can cause octane requirements to increase. As a rule, your motor will tell you if it needs higher octane fuel, knocking or pinging, but if you're not listening for it when trying a new fuel, you could easily do expensive damage to your motor.

Quote:
Brake Fluid has a DOT rating, just make sure your DOT rating is at, or above, the recommended rating for your car.
Do NOT mix DOT ratings, brakes are no place for a failed chemistry lesson,

Quote:
Coolant, it's more expensive to buy premixed but I recommend it, to mix non premixed coolant a rule of thumb is 50/50 coolant and distilled water.
And there is RED coolant, and GREEN coolant, green is most common, but newer cars can have RED coolant to, so double check before adding.
Again, just a little to general. Long life coolant is a good idea, but don't mix it, and definitely stay away from the orange Dex-cool, (AKA Death-cool), you will find VERY few GM technicians using it their own vehicles,

Quote:
Google is your friend, just type in your problem and there will be information about anything car related somewhere.
And you got this forum too, do a quick search before asking though, sometimes the question has already been asked and answered.
Not a bad suggestion, but beware that there are folks out there posting info that is incorrect, check your sources, and try to verify the accuracy of the info with a trusted source.

Last edited by Rickracer; 01-11-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 11:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I know I was being over general, but I wanted to lay down a basic working foundation without getting him lost in a sea of details.

Your counter points are great added notes.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 PM

Last journal entry: Metal Cancer is Found
Last photo:

Signed Up for 1st Workshop

Hey All,

Thank you for all your encouraging words. I just signed up for my first workshop, Metalwork. Here is the school www.sunchasertools.com Its a 3 day workshop. Sat,Sun, and Monday. The guy running the school asked me to bring in panels, how cool is that? All I have is my fender skirts, that need some work, but who cares, I'll be learning something...

Thanks Again....
Old 01-11-2010, 10:57 PM

Last photo:

Cool, you should take a picture of the panel you are bringing in before and after.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.