Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '38 chev rear axle replacement
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 04:07 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
It's going to depend on how wide you want it. The X body rear ends are 60 inches wide and the 2nd gen F body rear ends are 61 inches wide. If you don't need strength you could use a G body 7.5 rear end that is 58 inches wide. The S10 8.5 rear ends have tapered axle tubes, so be aware of that.

That chart has been around for a long time and is in serious need of some corrections. The '67 to '69 Camaro, '64 to '67 Chevelle and '68 to '79 Nova rear ends are all exactly the same width at 60 inches. The chart has them all different. Also the '68 to '72 Chevelle and '70 to '81 Camaro rear ends are 61 inches wide, not 62 1/2 like the chart says.
I haven't found a chart for the width of the stock axle to know what I need. I see chassis engineering has conversion plates to moves springs out for wider perches. I'd like to keep the axle as narrow as possible to have more wheel offset to the outside (dish).

I thought the chart for Chevelle's was wrong, as I have a '66 and a '70. They both have '70 axles in them and I have to be careful with dished wheels on the '66 because of the increased width.