Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 38 year old paint unbelievably tough! Ideas?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2003, 05:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy 38 year old paint unbelievably tough! Ideas?

I'm trying to strip my 65 Chevelle Malibu SS and can't believe how tough the factory paint is. It has the original paint job (Red Oxide primer with 2D Mist Blue Metallic) plus one additional coat of what appears to be Black Laquer over the factory paint. Obviously the factory paint is 38 years old and I know for a fact the Black Laquer is at least 30 years old, probably a little older. (I owned the same car in 1974/1975 and it was black then.) Its been setting outside for the past 28 years (had a 1976 license plate on it when I bought it a few months ago) and the paint has faded to almost a flat black.

Anyway, the black comes off fairly easy. It actually kind of balls up in real small pieces rather than sanding off into dust. But then the Blue and Red Oxide are unreal.

My DA with 40 grit on it won't even touch it unless I push so hard the DA slows down until its lost enough RPM it wouldn't do anything anyway.

I tried stripping a few small areas and it takes at least 3 times to get through it all to bare metal. The first time takes off the Black, the second the Blue, and the third the Red Oxide. Theres no way I'm going to strip the whole car 3 times. Even then considerable sanding is needed to get everything remaining after 3 strips.

Earlier tonight I put a 60 grit flap disc on my Metabo and NOT EVEN THAT does much. I actually was screwing up the body lines by digging in to much in some areas while trying to get through the paint in others. I guess all I'm left with is media blasting.

Has anyone else dealt with this tough of paint while stripping? If so, how'd you deal with it?