Hot Rod Forum banner

Is a 383 a 350?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  boatbob2 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I posted on this last night but it didn't go through for some reason. JEGS lists this rot assy with 64 cc head at 10.7:1 but yet if you plug the numbers into a CR calculator with a .040 quench you end up with 11.1:1, this is certainly to much for pump gas. If you want to run pump gas then look for the kit that has 17 cc dished pistons, with a 64 cc head you will be sitting at 9.5:1

#6 ·
my87Z said:
I posted on this last night but it didn't go through for some reason. JEGS lists this rot assy with 64 cc head at 10.7:1 but yet if you plug the numbers into a CR calculator with a .040 quench you end up with 11.1:1, this is certainly to much for pump gas. If you want to run pump gas then look for the kit that has 17 cc dished pistons, with a 64 cc head you will be sitting at 9.5:1
Too much for pump gas unless you have a healthy cam and aluminum heads...

Its all very intertwined and application dependant, what is the OP's goals? Use? Fuel? Car? Etc?

#7 ·
I have been running an internal balance Eagle crank on a '0' decked block, 12cc dish pistons, 0.041 quench, CC XE274H cam and TF 23* 64cc aluminum heads.

Calculated static CR is 10.30.

Timing is 34* all in @ 2600 rpm + 16* vacuum advance.

Never any problems using BP 89 octane fuel.

'76 Corvette w/4 speed. Weighs +/- 3250# with my butt behind the wheel.

I particularly built this engine to run on <91-93 octane fuel.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.