Hot Rod Forum banner

383 Advise

Tags
383 chevy
5K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  justahoby 
#1 ·
Hi everyone , im new to the forum and have a couple questions regarding a 383.
I want to have a 383 built for my corvette. I want to have 400hp. I also want to avoid such a lumpy lope at idle for more of the typical corvette sound.
What do you suggest parts wise to build this engine.
my budget is 4,000.00 i have no core

This engine will be all street. Thanks in advance for the advise.
Heads?
Crank?
Cam?
Pistons? etc.

#2 ·
I think a 383 with a set of GMPP vortec or RHS vortec heads would be a sweet little street machine. Should make gobs of torque and definitely hit your 400hp goal. Shoot for 9.5-9.8:1 and you will have no problems with pump gas. What is the drivetrain in it? stick? auto? converter stall? rear gear?

#3 ·
My transmission is a 4 speed muncie
gears are 307 i believe maybe 373

I want this engine to resemble my old 63 327
i will be using exhaust manifolds, i will get a intake with a oil fill tube, air cleaner, etc.
Would i have any problems with vortec heads, what other heads if i dont use Vortec?
Aluminum heads? Can you paint these to match block? Does it hold? Thanks

#5 ·
why 383? You can do an LS swap with a cam upgrade for less than your budget and end up with more power, better mileage, and less maintenance...

Nothing wrong with a 383, but there are a lot better options out there if you're just wanting good torque and power.

#10 ·
Yea, it will be easier with more displacement. But those manifolds are going to make your power curve hit a brick wall. Build for a low rpm power peak. Performer manifold, AFR 180 heads, and a really good roller cam from a cam grinder that can work magic. all the "little things" will count sice your placing such a handicap on yourself.

#16 ·
I agree that the exhaust manifolds will hurt the performance.The really good flowing heads will still be choked by the exhaust manifolds so buying great heads is a waste of cash,sorta. I remember back in the late 70s there were high flow after market exhaust manifolds available.They looked like stock manifolds and the "limited" super stock roundy round guys had them.Im sorry I cannot remember where they came from. Either way you will need an extra 10 degrees or so timing on the exhaust side.

What year is your vette?The sound is quite distinct for the 375 hp cam and the 350 hp cam. 400 HP is do able.The biggest exhaust I could put on my vette was 3'' do to the pipe needing to go through the frame.If you use a solid cam I think you could squeeze a little more than 400 HP out of the mouse,the budget might get abused though? You would need to spend money on horse power savers as well as HP producers. IE,light weight crank=expensive with small HP gains.Oils scraper,expensive(or time consuming) for small gain.Accessory speed reduction pulleys,small increase in power.Vacuum pump,maybe 20 plus HP but requires different bearing clearances or heavier oil. Synthetic oil,expensive for a small HP increase,,,, and so on

#21 · (Edited)
I remember back in the late 70s there were high flow after market exhaust manifolds available.They looked like stock manifolds and the "limited" super stock roundy round guys had them.Im sorry I cannot remember where they came from.
Vinnie, sounds like you're thinking of Brzezinski Racing Products. They specialize in cast iron intakes, heads, and exhaust. They have good stuff but they're pricey!
Chevrolet Corvette Cast Iron Automotive Exhaust Manifolds

#18 ·
For your application- not really. Your rpm peak will be so low it won't make much of a difference and on a street car having a quiet maitenance free valve train is kind of nice. I have a solid cammed car and a hyd cam car I drive on the street regularly and the hyd cammed car is nice because the only noise you hear is the exhaust.

#19 ·
Steven,have you found an exhaust system for your car yet?
A roller cam and kit is at least $600.oo more than a flat tappet cam,then you need a bronze distributor gear and highly recommend stainless valves.Thats gonna kill your budget. A Flat tappet cam can make 400 hp easy.Some,(not all) 350s can be punched to 401 cubes.

Whats in the car now?what year is the car?

#24 ·
BigEd,that does sound correct.Thank you for posting that.and remember what Shelby said about racing and the costssss. It hasnt changed one penny,it still takes every bit of money you have
Vinniekq2, it's soooooo true. If I had taken all the $$$$$$ I spent racing and invested it I would probably be living a comfortable retirement instead of draggin' out of bed at 4:30 to go to work! But all the fun and the memories..............priceless!

#27 ·
I just pulled a 383 out of my truck few months back for a 454.. That 383 was strong in my 5 speed pickup. I ran RHS 180cc (non vortec) and coulda gone to 200cc runners, lunati 60120 on a factory roller cam block bored 0.040 on 2.5 in duals, ran wicked strong on a tall 3.08 gear ( didn't know it was overgeared in 5th :D) would like to have seen that bad boy on a 3.30 or 3.55 gear in a vette:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.