Hot Rod Forum banner

383 Balancing Question

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Custom10 
#1 ·
I have a chance to pick up a built 383 short block. It has been internally balanced and has no harmaonic balancer or flex plate installed. Currently I have a 350 with a stock style balancer and I also am using a flywheel as it is a stick truck. Can I reuse the balancer and fly wheel that I have? or should I look to have these matched somehow to the 383? What are some considerations here, as I said the 383 is completely assembled

Thanks Folks

#2 ·
If you are SURE it is internally balanced and don't want to tear it down to have the entire reciprocating assembly balanced then I would not use the stock parts you have. If this short block is pretty potent then for safety's sake I would buy GOOD SFI parts. Take the SFI parts to a good balancing shop and tell them what you're doing. They can zero balance them if necessary....then cross your fingers when you wing it the first time.

#5 ·
OK..the 383 is a two piece real seal motor as well as my 350. I am sure that the 383 is internally balanced so maybe a new balancer would be in order and I can use my exisitng flywheel. This is not going to be a race motor so SFI would be nice but not needed here...yet. Thanks all

#6 ·
Before you have it balanced I would have the flywheel surfaced, get rid of any unseen heat checks. Its cheap to have done and that way when its installed and ready to dump the clutch you will have a good clean level surface to engage......just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.