383 build - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 07:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineczar View Post
Your build looks good. Only one observation, were the cam bearings installed when you tapped the oil plugs and ground the oil returns? I prefer to do all the fit ups and cutting with old cam bearings then remove them for the final cleaning. Crud tends to collect in the grooves behind them.
no had the old cam bearing in when i did all the detailing to the block. once all prep work and machining was done i had removed and fitted new one's.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 03:16 AM

Last photo:

ok now thinking about the end play on the crank , have read in a couple off books with different answers for crank end play. some say between .004-.007 and others with .002-.006 , so which is it. when I checked my crank for end play I got .0025 . so is this with in the margin or to tight.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

.0025 is a bit on the tight side but you'll need to check it again with the new bearings anyway so I would hold off judgement until then.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:00 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjautos7 View Post
thanks for the good info , had done the hot wash , spray with brake clean to clean the suface, then masked up and now all painted. here are some photos of how it come out.
Nice build!

Small matter, but use a water pump gasket to mask the area that doesn't need paint. The way it is, you're going to have bare block showing.

Were the main bores checked after installing the studs?

I'm guessing this is a race engine, else the bearing clearance would be fine at a bit under 0.002, at least IMO. I'd rather see you using tools instead of plastigage to measure the oil clearance, though. What pan and oil pump setup you using?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,012 Times in 848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjautos7 View Post
ok now thinking about the end play on the crank , have read in a couple off books with different answers for crank end play. some say between .004-.007 and others with .002-.006 , so which is it. when I checked my crank for end play I got .0025 . so is this with in the margin or to tight.
Years ago, I was talking with Joe Mondello on the phone about the end play on a 455 I was building. He told me to hold a block of wood on the crank snout at the front and fram hell out of it with a BFH, then go around back and do the same thing on the rear of the crank. That will set the thrust bearing and everything will be dandy he said. I did and it was.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Nice build!

Small matter, but use a water pump gasket to mask the area that doesn't need paint. The way it is, you're going to have bare block showing.

Were the main bores checked after installing the studs?

I'm guessing this is a race engine, else the bearing clearance would be fine at a bit under 0.002, at least IMO. I'd rather see you using tools instead of plastigage to measure the oil clearance, though. What pan and oil pump setup you using?
thanks thats a good tip for using water pump gasket , as for the main bores would of hope so as the mains and studs were fitted for deck plate honing and would off hoped that this would of been checked first before work was done. when i fitted the crank for clearances it did turn over very easy with no issues at all.
this is my frist ever engine build and the plan was for a very strong street engine , saying that i mean 80% street and 20% strip time.
i'm not a pro so i don't have all the tools , a dail bore gauge would of been what i would of used to check oil cearance if i had one. i'm building this in my garage and working with what i have.

as for the oil pan here a link to the one i have and will be using

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su.../model/caprice

and this is the oil pump that i have.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mo...make/chevrolet
Old 04-08-2013, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Years ago, I was talking with Joe Mondello on the phone about the end play on a 455 I was building. He told me to hold a block of wood on the crank snout at the front and fram hell out of it with a BFH, then go around back and do the same thing on the rear of the crank. That will set the thrust bearing and everything will be dandy he said. I did and it was.
thanks tecinspector1 when i get the new bearing i going to tq then down to 15 ftpd to seat the bearings then back of the bolts and do the same to set the thrust on the rear mains. then check from there.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

was talking to my machine shop today and he seems to think that my main bearing clearances will be fine as it not a race motor ,and will spend most of the time on the road. what do others think. should I go with what I have or wait and get the hx bearings.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I'd run the oil clearance you have now. I see Summit has a pick up that works w/the pan and oil pump you have: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3620.

The PU is a press fit, you can make a tool to install it unless you want to use a shop. Some guys weld or braze them on. I use locktite and a press fit w/o welding, the choice is yours.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
I'd run the oil clearance you have now. I see Summit has a pick up that works w/the pan and oil pump you have: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3620.

The PU is a press fit, you can make a tool to install it unless you want to use a shop. Some guys weld or braze them on. I use locktite and a press fit w/o welding, the choice is yours.
Is i think i will run with the oil clearance i have. when i got my sump i got that pick up at the same time to match the pan. thanks for the info for making my own tool to fit the pick up to the oil pump. i was'nt going to braze the pick up tube to the pump as it has support bracket to bolt to the pump.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Might be coming on this thread too late.My opinion would be to have the crank polished.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
Might be coming on this thread too late.My opinion would be to have the crank polished.
thanks Gary , the crank is new and was polished after every thing was balances.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

going back to when i fitted the cam in the block with out the chain it turned over freely and easy. after fitting the chain it was a bit harder to turn over so at the time i did'nt think to much of it.

Last edited by bjautos7; 04-12-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

sorry wrong photo.

Last edited by bjautos7; 04-12-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

when i did the dummy up i founded that the billet timing set from comp cams part number 7136 was really tight fitting , had to use a bolt to pull on to cam shaft noise , then when i striped the block back down this is what i found. the cam bearing still looks to be ok and smooth to touch. now will the chain free up like with its frist run or should i just replace it with a new one.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.