383 build help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 09:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

383 build help

ok im kinda new to all of this, i am 17 and i bought a 1979 z28 with a 355. the 355 has a rod knock and i have another block and parts. i have a 350 with a 400 crank and 350 rods and pistons but i am wondering what all i need done to make a 383, i have a few sets of 202 heads and i have a couple intakes as well, dual and single highrise, i dont have alot of money at all, roughly $100 every 2 weeks that is for the motor, i work at bumper 2 bumper and have a machine shop in back but we cant mill cranks, can anyone make a step by step list of what to do for me? i would greatly appreciate it, i want to have over 400 hp, sure 600 would be great but is that possible on a budget like mine?

thanks,

quin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 04:20 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Since your new, and young. I`m going to tell you the same thing I tell all who`s just starting out. First off, budget is important because horsepower costs money. Second, take time to learn the trade, you can`t jump in and learn it in a week, month, or even a year. Next is start out small, you don`t need 400 horsepower and if you had it could you handle it? Could your car handle it? I used to own a 79 Z28 and I learned, they are not only heavy cars, but if your going to put any kind of power over 300 horses under the hood you have to add subframe connectors. If I were you, I would build a small budget 355 mule motor. I`d use it to learn off of. You can learn what it likes, what it don`t like. Most importantly you`ll learn how to tune it which seems to be the biggest mystery to most out there. On your budget, if you really want a 400 horsepower 383, you`ll be waiting the next 2 years on it`s completion. Another 355 is a breeze to build and learn building skills on. With the right parts it will also put out a rather impressive amount of power on a small budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.