Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 build (help need advise)
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 01:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sorry if I was miss-leading, but you can get the Scat 9000 series cast crank which is much less expensive than a forged one,($242 vrs. $630) and get the job done. Summit PN SCA-935056(Scat's long PN 9-350-3750-6000) is what I'm referring to although they have an incorrect description by calling it a 400 instead of 350 crank. Look at the specs and you can see that the main journals are 350 size. Better yet, check out Scat's site for part numbers, and specs.
The rods I mentioned are a work of art for the money($330) in my opinion, and a good buy even if you don't get the forged pistons. Summit pn SCA-26000716(Scat's pn 2-ICR6000-7/16). They have ARP cap screws instead of thru bolts, and the big end has construction qualities more like an H-beam rod. Mine measured less than .001" in length variance between all using a set of Mitutoyo calipers. I admit calipers aren't the best method for measuring rods, but they are pretty consistent, and I've heard about other rods being checked the same way and finding much more variance in rod length.
The only drawbacks to using the 6" rod (IMO) is that allot of pistons designed for them have to use rail supports for the oil rings(not all), and the pistons price may be a little higher.
Again FWIW,
ssmonty
PS If this is for the street I'd agree with AP72 and go with a smaller cam or its gonna be a dog where it will spend most of its time. That is if its a hydraulic lifter. And there rpm band is a little on the wide side.

Last edited by ssmonty; 05-13-2012 at 01:51 PM.