Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 build just getting started
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 08:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by compje View Post
I am new to this site and lookinf for other peoples experiences with building 383 strokers. I am in the process of building a 383 for my son's truck.

He has a 1984 silverado 4wd that is in excellent condition except it has a weezy 305 in it.

I purchased a 350 complete from a junk yard.
I ordered a complete 383 rotating assembly from scat. Should be close to 9.6/1 compression ratio when completed.
The block is going to be .040 over. (not exactly a 383 now)

The heads are .194/160 but I am having the machine shop hog them out for .202 intake valves. Looking for high port velocity for low end torque.

I have an Edlebrock performer intake, performer 650 carb, 1 5/8 tube headers with new magnaflow exhaust, 2 1/4 out the back, MSD streetfire ignition,,, basicly the same stuff we see all over the place.

I have not ordered a cam yet. I hear that I need a small base circle cam and I hear I dont because of the ARP ROD bolts are designed for this app and no need.

I will clearence the block in my shop when I get the block back as needed. (this is one of the reasons I went to the external balance, the other is windage and I needed a new balancer and flex plate, the kit comes complete.

This build will get roller rockers.

Any suggestions on cam. Looking for a truck motor with power low in the RPM range.
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, but not to the 383 strioker.
I build a.040 over 385 a few years ago. I built something that sounds nearly what you are doing. I had the shop put 202's in my heads also. I'm not sure if it made a difference or not. If I were doing it again I may save the money,and put it in the cam. I used a Competition Cams Extreme Energy 262 cam. Great torque. I don't think they offer that exact number today. I believe they make a can for 4x4's these days. Have fun... Bob