Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 build kits?
Thread: 383 build kits?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro R/S LT View Post
I'm seriously looking into stroking my 350 to a 383 when I get around to redoing my engine. This is a ways off, but I wanted to start my research now.

Can anyone who's familiar with 383 stroker kits recommend one. I'm looking for something mild/occasional strip. A few things I want: 6in rods, 1.6 rollers, internal balance and I want to keep my compression below 11.5:1. A kit seems like the best way to go for me and I'd rather not have to mix and match parts. I like the idea of a kit that's already done that for me.

Also, I'm going to run a tko500 with a posi rear end, any suggestions on gear ratios? i'm leaning towards 3.73 for now.

Scat has good quality Stroker kits. A kit with a Cast Series 9000 Crank, Forged I-Beam Rods & Forged Pistons would be a reliable start.
If you use 5.7" Rods you'll have a much larger Piston selection to choose fromand also keep the Piston Pin out of the Ring area.
For a Pump gas Engine you should stay around 9.5:1 Cr w/Iron Heads and 10.5:1Cr w/Aluminum Heads.

What year Block do you have?
What size Combustion Chambers do your Heads have?
You can narrow the choices down more here.
CHEVROLET SCAT Engine Components Engine Kits & Rotating Assemblies - 383 Actual Engine CID - 5.700 in. Rod Length - Forged aluminum Piston Material - Cast iron Crankshaft Material - SummitRacing.com

Rear Gear etc.. calculators:
Gear Calculator
The Following User Says Thank You to SSedan64 For This Useful Post:
Camaro R/S LT (11-13-2012)