Hot Rod Forum banner

383 build kits?

6K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  Camaro R/S LT 
#1 ·
I'm seriously looking into stroking my 350 to a 383 when I get around to redoing my engine. This is a ways off, but I wanted to start my research now.

Can anyone who's familiar with 383 stroker kits recommend one. I'm looking for something mild/occasional strip. A few things I want: 6in rods, 1.6 rollers, internal balance and I want to keep my compression below 11.5:1. A kit seems like the best way to go for me and I'd rather not have to mix and match parts. I like the idea of a kit that's already done that for me.

Also, I'm going to run a tko500 with a posi rear end, any suggestions on gear ratios? i'm leaning towards 3.73 for now.

#37 ·
Okay this thread is tripping me out, I see posts I made months ago, that are in the mix of posts that I have made today. They aren't even in order. Anyone else notice this. Then it gives a date back in November for the some of the posts that I have made today.:confused::confused::confused:

#38 ·
Personally I dont think that I would go after a 76cc combustion chamber head to make up what ever CR I was tring to achive. I would be affraid that it would be too large of an area to maintain a good "burn" or quench pad area. I would not go any larger than a set of 72cc heads. If you where to use a 72cc head and a flat top piston then you would end up with 10.2:1 compression which on a motor with alm heads is easily run off of pump gas, heck my 11.2:1 CR motor can and has run on pump gas.

Dont let a good quality dished piston fool you, they have D dished pistons now, they are not like the old O oval dished pistons that had horrible quench pads. the D dished pistons are shaped so that they keep the same style quench pad as a flat top. I had 18cc dished pistons and made just over 500hp on pump gas with them, these are the same ones that I have in my gargae that still look brand new.

#39 ·
Personally I dont think that I would go after a 76cc combustion chamber head to make up what ever CR I was tring to achive. I would be affraid that it would be too large of an area to maintain a good "burn" or quench pad area. I would not go any larger than a set of 72cc heads. If you where to use a 72cc head and a flat top piston then you would end up with 10.2:1 compression which on a motor with alm heads is easily run off of pump gas, heck my 11.2:1 CR motor can and has run on pump gas.

Dont let a good quality dished piston fool you, they have D dished pistons now, they are not like the old O oval dished pistons that had horrible quench pads. the D dished pistons are shaped so that they keep the same style quench pad as a flat top. I had 18cc dished pistons and made just over 500hp on pump gas with them, these are the same ones that I have in my gargae that still look brand new.
Thanks I'll keep this in mind, some of the combos I've seen use the 18cc dished so I might end up going that way

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.