Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 build knock?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 02:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

383 build knock?

Hey guys, I built a 383 stroker for my 96 Chevy Express 1500 Van a while back and had a ton of issues. I haven't really driven it other that to move it around. It has had noise in the engine that I thought was due to bad gas (a mix of 4yr old and new 93 octane gas 50/50) I found that my MAF was dirty and when I cleaned it, it was not as noisy. I have babied it when I did move it. I moved it today and I drove it around the block to get the juices flowing and it was ok (it's normal noisy self... I thought I needed to check the rocker arm adjustment again) but I stopped it and ran in the house came out and it was making a heavy knocking souns. So bad that the intake manifold felt like it was being hit. I pulled plug wires to see if the noise would stop and it did when I pulled #8 cylinder. Is that the tell tale sign that it has a blown rod bearing? This van is a PITA to work on ,even to just remove the valve covers!!! I thought I triple checked everything when I built it but I guess I missed something. I have had solo many issues with this build I am at a loss!! So if the spark is pulled and the knock goes away does that mean the rod bearing is bad? Sorry for the long post. I am sad!!!