Hot Rod Forum banner

383 build for a truck

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Robinson Robin 
#1 ·
I am new to the forum. I am rebuilding a chevy truck for hauling motorcycles and travel trailers. Here is what I have...

I am building a 383 for a 85 chevy k20 truck. The truck will be used for towing and daily driving. The truck has 4.10 gears for towing and a standard SM465 4 speed manual transmission. For the build up I was going to go with the following componets:

383 kit from speedomotive.
consists of eagle crank
chevy 5.7 rods with apr fastners
flat top pistons

the block is a 4 bolt main that has been machined.

for heads I have a set of Etec 170 and vortec performer intake
for carb, an eldelbrock 600 1406.

for a cam I was leaning towards comp cams extreme energy 268 or 254.

Goals for the engine, 300 hp and 400 ftps of tourque.

anyone have different suggestions?

:p

See less See more
#2 ·
i forgot to mention the exhaust

For exhaust I am going to go with stock manifolds. I will port match them to the heads but I don't want to deal with the head ache of headers. I tried them on my camaro and could never get them to seal. From the stock exhaust manifolds, I am running 2.5 inch dual exhaust, with 40 series flowmasters.

#3 ·
Speed-Pro makes a good dished piston for this combo that will get you around 9.5:1 so you can run on pump gas: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7938546720&category=33623. The flat -tops will put you close around 10.75:1 so you would want to run premium gas. I would go with the 262XE cam which would give you give you very good low end grunt that you will want. The exhaust manifolds will restrict you a little but you should still very easily make your hp/torque goal.

#5 ·
Your goal of 400 lbs touque should be no problem. If the E tec heads are aluminum and I think they are the flat tops would be a good choice. 10.5 is no problem with aluminum heads but premium fuel will be needed. I would use headers if it were my truck, too much power is lost on manifolds.use a performer intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.