1.52 Roller Rockers
260H high energy cam kit
Pete Jackson Gear drive
8" Balancer
Performer rpm intake
Edelbrock #1406 carb 600cfm 4bb electric choke
Hei distributor
Mellings hv oil pump kit
I had it mated to a TH400 with 2000 stall.3.42 geared stock rear end.I have full length headers,Dual exaust with 50 series flows.The truck has drove great since then.It's been a good daily driver.But now I think it's time too rebuild it.I have over 150,000miles on it.
So I redid the whole suspension,Lowered it 4" in the front and 6" in the back.I rebuilt all the steering stuff,New TT2 wheels,on bfg tires.I rebuilt the rear end .With 3.73 gears and a powertrax differential.I've also put rear disk brakes on it.I had the frame sand blasted and powdercoated.
I pulled the cab and bed off off.Had the body work done,And paint job.I had them shoot spray on bedliner.I put new interior,and trim on everything.Plus I put Dakota digital gauges in,and a wiring kit from painless.
The engine im rebuilding:
383ci 9.5:1 .040 over
L31 Vortec heads 1.94/1.50(Had screw in studs,guideplates installed,Bowl blend,port and polish.Comp springs,locks,and retainers)
1.60 Pro-Magnum Roller rockers
268H xtreme energy cam kit
Pete Jackson Gear drive
8"Balancer
Performer rpm intake
1406 Edelbrock carb(Im planning on converting to a Multi port EFI kit from edelbrock)
Im mating it to a HD TH700-R4 with a 2400stall.
Do you guys think all this is worth the time or money?
I knew from the start I was going to lose mileage.How much do you think I might lose?My old combo got 16-18 on the hwy.
Will I notice the difference in power?My old combo was o.k.It beats the local late model mustangs.But a little more would appealed to me.
Will this motor sound any better with this cam?My old one had o.k power but it did'nt sound much different than a stock cam.Im looking for a little more.
And is the EFI worth the swap?Im not worried about the expense.But will I see any difference in Throttle response,power,mileage?
And do you guys think this is too much for a daily driver?
Sorry for so many questions.I've been kind of excited about this rebuild.Thanks.
427COPO

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a great upgrade from before. Since you're running a bigger cam, better heads, more compression, and will have ~30 more cubes you should notice a big difference in power. You may want to check that the pushrods will not contact the head with the 1.6 rockers. You may have to elongate the pushrod holes a bit. That 700R-4 has a very low first gear, combine that with the 3.73 and it should pull hard in first gear. The addition of the overdrive will give you good highway cruising RPMs as well. Sounds like a fun truck. How much does it weigh? Post some pics if you get some time. :thumbup:

#3 ·
I would really love to put some pics up.Im very proud about how it all looks now from before.When I get a the cord for my digital camera.Im gonna put them up.Last time I went to weigh in,it was around 4,800lbs.
I was looking to rebuild this truck into a hot daily driver.It was snappy before.But not real impressive.Im hoping this will do it for me.So this is'nt too much for a daily driver?Im curious to how much mileage i'll lose,or If it will be about the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.