Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 cam change internal clearance questions
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975yellowC3 View Post
I like your style tech! I have read several posts about changing the gears and it kind of scared me off. But what the heck, I hadn't ever torn down a 350 before I built mine. I put it together and it is still running!

Thanks for the encouragement...I think I might try to give it a whirl!
Have you seen what a empty case cost? 1200 is fair, does it include parts and gears. Then its a great deal. Take it. Cost most people 3Gs when tech sees the vette badge and typical owner. i got my car cause it had been rebuilt rotor to rotor. With gears and new posi parts. If you do rebuild, build them both and get top dollar its worth the effort!

In my youth i put gears in a bunch of cars by just feeling if the pinion was sticking. If it was, move a shim from one side the other or the other side if to loose. Usally the shims dont change much with just a gear swap. But..

Total rebuild is the way to go do it once and be done. Vette rears always cost money if you can get it done for 1200 parts labor drop the car off tonight. With 370 gear you will break the tire loose at 10 mph for 20 feet. Even 308 or 355 whatever sizes they have for your car would be a big change.

Trans do a th700r4 it is lighter than the 400 can be rebuild cheaper in higher hp trim. But dont runa stock one they can be had built in 1300 range shift kit and carb manual/auto lockup kit. It will pay for it self in gas if you keep the car long enough.