Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 cam change internal clearance questions
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Either you're missing my point or I'm missing yours. What I suggested was to buy a used pig....I've seen them on craigslist for $300/$350. Take it home, tear it apart, install whatever gear you wish, do the pig swap over the weekend, then put your original pig on craigslist and recoup your $300/$350.
Those are not cheap parts at 300 its not bad but a good one you can depend on is going to be more. I do understand the cost can be recouped but its a lot to tie up in the job. I do suggest if you go that route rebuild the old unit as well and put it up for sale all cleaned up and ready to drop in. Corvette guys will pay for quality parts that save mech time. Since labor is a big cost in some areas.

Tech i am not disagreeing with you simply saying 1200 is fair these days. Ive seen ppl pay 1200 for brake pads. if you local mech is legit help his kids have a good christmas. Figure on bushings and other items that need to be repaced. Its best to get it worked out once and never worrie about it again. Im sure we can find some vette guys to tell you how bad they got shafted getting this work done. I know its just a gear change but we al know something may look great but when it comes apart you will find everything else that is wrong. I am happy when i take a gear cover off and see all the teeth on the ring.

Some jobs are better to take to the shop and drop it off. I do all my own work but dont recommend that to others let someone else break there arse on that rear if you have the option.