Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 cam change internal clearance questions
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975yellowC3 View Post
I have the original 3spd auto in there now. I believe it is a TH400. I think even if it is a TH350 they both have 1:1 final ratio.

ssmonty - I have toyed with the idea of OD tranny. I have really been reluctant to change gears because of the higher highway rpm. Not sure I want to do that, but I realize it's a tradeoff and without it I have what I have!

The motor sounds really really good right now. I honestly don't really care about the sound, just want some good off the line power.

So...I have read many a thread on here that gears are by far best bang for the buck. I am just curious how much it would really help. It will turn the tires from a stop as is (P295/50R15s)...you have to floor it and it will spin probably 20 feet. I started out on this journey just wanting some neck snapping take off. It takes off pretty well, but I was expecting much more. I am assuming it has to be my gears.

Do you think it is worth changing cams? Will I really notice that much seat of the pants feel between what I have and the 268 off the line?
I have less motor then you, stock converter, and 411's.....29" tall tire, and from a roll can destroy them as long as you keep your foot in it. Yah, on the highway I cruise at 3000rpm, but its so worth it lol. I recently hurt my TH350 so will likely build a 200r4 with a 3500 converter in the spring and get the best of all worlds.....