383 Cam Choice Help plz - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2006, 09:18 PM
71 Chevrolet Nova

Wiki Edits: 0

383 Cam Choice Help plz

I posted awhile back deciding to build either a 350 or 383, and well I decided to go with the 383. It's going into my 71 nova which has a 4speed muncie in it and lower 3 rearend gears (to be changed in the future). So far this is what I'm running:

Cast Eagle 383 Stroker Crank
Scat 4340 I-Beam Forged Rods
Probe Flat Top Factory Forged Pistons .030 overbore

For the upper end I'm planning on either getting a set of vortecs, iron eagles 180cc, or AFR's 180 or 195, havn't decided yet. I want to get the chamber around 68cc which will give a 10.2:1 CR but there is no sure way to tell yet because I need to do the calculations myself (I need to see if the deck needs milling). I also plan to run around a 700cfm carb, eldelbrock performer rpm air gap intake and around 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 headers.

The car will be a street driven car probably around 95% of the time with ocassional runs to the track to see how quick it is and just to have some fun. I plan on putting a 100-hp shot of nos on it too when it is at the track.

Anyway, the cams I'm looking into are the extreme energy XE274H or the XE284H I'm leaning toward the 274 because of its operating range of its 1800-6000 range vs the 2300-6500 of the 284. I don't plan on spinning the engine over 6kish. Also the description of the 274 says it has strong mid range torque which sounds good.

Any responses I'd appreciate. This is my first build up and I'm doing it as a project in my engine rebuild class and I want to make sure it comes out to an engine I'm going to be happy with on the street and the occasional trip to the track.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2006, 10:48 PM
a shade tree mechanic

Last photo:

before you get a cam take a look at a website called www.lazercams.com Give him a call. I got a cam from him for my 383 stroker and it works great. he can custom make you a cam just for your specs.

Chris
Old 04-22-2006, 11:19 PM
71 Chevrolet Nova

One more question: What kind of power will I see out of this engine at the flywheel and then at the tire? I'll look into that website
Old 04-22-2006, 11:48 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Your best bet is always to consult with the cam grinder about what cam is best for your particular application, but I'll get you in the ballpark. This is just my opinion.

Doing the math with a zero deck, 0.040" compressed gasket and 7 cc's of valve relief in the piston crowns, I come up with 10.44 c.r. If that's true, then the short cam is gonna be too small, resulting in excessive cylinder pressure.

Something like this is what I might use, with its 112 LDA to support some manifold vacuum and carb signal.
http://www.cranecams.com/?show=brows...tType=camshaft
Old 04-23-2006, 10:11 AM
a shade tree mechanic

Last photo:

if you look into that website he might be able to give that info. He is a very knowledgable person when it comes to motors
Old 04-23-2006, 11:54 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

It will be hard to choose a cam without knowing which heads you are using. Based on the flow characteristics of the heads, the cam choice will vary.

Adam
Old 04-23-2006, 03:24 PM

I vote with Firestone. Using heads like the AFRs with GREAT exh/int flow ratio demands a different cam than using almost any other head. With most AFRs, a single pattern makes sense. Using most other heads, a dual pattern makes sense. Once you establish whether you want single or dual pattern, you can talk to you engine builder, or cam grinder, about the best kind of duration and/or lift to incorporate. Flow characteristics at extreme limits of valve opening also will impact the cam choice. Dont overlook Hydraulic rollers. A little pricey, but they take real advantage of some head's flow characteristics.

Pat
Old 04-25-2006, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

On the 383 I assembled several years ago I went with Crane HMV272 grind (216/228) - I think they now call that the Powermax series. The car was an 82 Firebird, with a 3 speed auto and 3.23 gears. Heads were 76cc "heavy" heads (you know, jus thte thicker castings, etc.) with 1.94 intakes and the larger 1.60 exhaust valves. I was very happy with this as a street grind. I know the XE series from Comp get good press and actually seem to run a bit more streetable as compared to their duration numbers, but of the two cams you listed I would recommend the XE274. In reallity, I would recommend the even smaller XE268. Sounds like you will only be at the track on rare occasions and you'll appreciate the bottom end torque more than you will an extra top-end charge on the street.
As an FYI, a frind of mine had the older Magnum 280 grind in his 350 with Brodix street head. He ultimately switched to that same HMV 272 grind as was much happier.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.