Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 Cam Swap. Thoughts? More Streetable...
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
But i think the advertised duration here is trying to help you out. 274 By letting you know its going to drive like a big cam sep it will fall on its face just when the other cam was setting you back in your seat. Still bad idle still will need gears. You would be better with a longer duration and wider lobe center. Idle would smooth out and off idle power would come back so gears could be changed to a much lower set. I have seen a cam with these specs before and it was the wild racing cam for stock heads back in the day.
I agree a roller is better, but adv. duration tells you absolutely nothing, especially on cams like these. Also you state it will drive like a big cam but will fall flat? meaning you have no idea what it'll do? Then go on to suggest a bigger cam but with a wider LSA- to help make it more driveable?

Truth be told this cam will idle just like in the videos and produce a torque peak right around 4,000 rpm, peak power on a 383 will probably come in at about 5300rpm-ish. This cam is probably about the best "cheap cam" for mid range torque and a rough idle.

218 is NOT a big cam- not by any means.

I would not be surprised at all is this combo produced over 450ftlb on your 383 but only about 400hp peak(flywheel)- the torque is going to kick in hard right after your stall locks in.