Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 Cam Swap. Thoughts? More Streetable...
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Properly chosen roller can help alot in this case. But i usally suggest flat tappets.

The cam i herd on the video had a very clear lope as it went off idle. That will happen in gear and cause the problem he is trying to solve. Smooth low rpm will only come from less overlap. At 106 lobe center its going to be aLmost as ruff as what he has just more violent when it bumps in gear with more low rpm torque. Current cam is tight lobe center as well. Its going to have many of the same idle and more importantly off idle problems. Maybe some one can explain lobe center a little better its not only about duration. Longer duration with a 110 lobe center could run very smooth and still run off good numbers at the track. i am not making suggestions as this could be a tuff one to get right. Rather than throw out WAG's.

FYI i love big cams i would keep it and change out the trans to work with the gears. I am not a trans guy but i think the th700r4 can have 1.1 or better final ratio and support the correct gears. The ratios can be changed to allow it to run the 1/4 in the first three and drop low rpm in fourth. But may still bump and chunk at 55 mph if you go to far. You can also get a lock up clutch that can help with the change to high at street legal speeds.

Thats my 2 cents. Best of both worlds always cost the most. Lol its the hotrod equation. Mo money...
you really don't understand how duration and LSA work do you?

the 234/234 cam he currently uses has 22 of overlap. The 218/218 cam he is considering has 6 that difference is huge. when it comes to street manners that's one of the most important numbers. FWIW the voodoo 268 cam- a very often used hot street cam has 10 degrees of overlap. This cam is actually milder than a VooDoo 268.