383 Cam Swap. Thoughts? More Streetable... - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 10:49 AM
V8 Super Beetle's Avatar
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 33
Posts: 1,245
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
The summit cam: one search onthe internet for wiped summit cams and they dont look as cheap. That being said i do see ppl running them.
From what I've read after a quick search, is that it's been a problem of improper break-in procedure or someone reinstalling a used cam, mismatching the lifters, and running them without any kind of break-in procedure. In other words, user error. I currently have summit lifters on the isky cam in my engine with zero problems.

Heck, the paint on my car is Summit paint. Looks great and is holding up well when done right.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 42
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 90 Times in 87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Super Beetle View Post
From what I've read after a quick search, is that it's been a problem of improper break-in procedure or someone reinstalling a used cam, mismatching the lifters, and running them without any kind of break-in procedure. In other words, user error. I currently have summit lifters on the isky cam in my engine with zero problems.

Heck, the paint on my car is Summit paint. Looks great and is holding up well when done right.
i like a few of there cams they use some good old grinds that work well. but with all the problems i have read about I have been tunred off. But may give them a try on my next cheap build current engines cost to much to test an unknown cam.

I would put the 3.08 gears in with the 2400 stall should be fine. last time you tried the gears it was with the stock converter? 2400 should help alot over the stock stall. 3.73 and 3.55 would still be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 12:02 PM
V8 Super Beetle's Avatar
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 33
Posts: 1,245
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
i like a few of there cams they use some good old grinds that work well. but with all the problems i have read about I have been tunred off. But may give them a try on my next cheap build current engines cost to much to test an unknown cam.

I would put the 3.08 gears in with the 2400 stall should be fine. last time you tried the gears it was with the stock converter? 2400 should help alot over the stock stall. 3.73 and 3.55 would still be better.
It was even pulling the 2400 stall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 8,642
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 364
Thanked 858 Times in 820 Posts
If you use a flat tappet cam,at least use a solid.better idle and they make power over a wider range.If you want a built in rev limiter,use a flat tappet hydraulic.Another user that builds engines uses a flat hydraulic motor for customers that over rev or abuse engines,it just keeps them limited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 PM
V8 Super Beetle's Avatar
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 33
Posts: 1,245
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
If you use a flat tappet cam,at least use a solid.better idle and they make power over a wider range.If you want a built in rev limiter,use a flat tappet hydraulic.Another user that builds engines uses a flat hydraulic motor for customers that over rev or abuse engines,it just keeps them limited
Thanks Vinnie. Although, I like the "set it and forget" aspect of hydraulic cams. I'm not after ever ounce of power. I'm actually going the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 8,642
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 364
Thanked 858 Times in 820 Posts
what a solid cam will do is let you keep the power AND get it sooner and smoother.I used a solid cam years ago(sig erson high flow II solid) it had a mild idle and pulled off idle to 6200.Maybe someone in the forum has specs on it?
was listed as maybe 288 duration and 500 lift.get something like that.It was around 028 lash so valve lift was 460 ish. get a modern version like that and you will be surprised how mellow it is and I remember shifting at 7k from first to second as it comes up fast in the lower gears.My friend had the same cam in his 57 belair except hydraulic,high flow II and it fell off a lot sooner.I think it was .490 lift and had a rougher idle.
Adjusting valves takes 30 minutes after you have done it twice.The first time takes a lot longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on this Hyd Roller in a 383 + TKO Big Mouse Engine 9 07-22-2011 03:13 PM
383 SBC cam swap bowtietillidieSS Engine 4 05-29-2010 06:56 PM
thoughts on 383 SBC combo mrdreex Engine 21 03-20-2008 02:43 PM
383 cam swap ? 383silverado Engine 2 07-28-2007 10:52 AM
Thoughts on 383 Stroker plan Arcuden Engine 9 09-28-2005 09:35 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.