Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 chevy stroker
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Wiki Edits: 0

i can understand that they are big, anyone can cut the ports out huge, that is not the point of making the heads produce power, remember what i told you about the cross section area of the ports, this the measurement of the port side to side and then from top to bottom, the whole idea of creating power from heads is to keep the cross sectional area of the ports as small as possible and yet making the heads flow as much air as possible, you want as much veloctiy as you can get with as much air flow as you can get, when you go cutting the ports all up what you do is reduce the velocity of the air going through the ports at lower RPM (say 2500-5000rpm), you may increase the amount of air and possible velocity going through the ports at higher rpm (say 5000-6500rpm or so) but the goal is to increase the amount of air flow at all ranges in the rpm band without loosing velocity.

my prediction with these heads would be that from 2500-4500rpm this motor would be a dog, but from 4500-6000 it would wake up, but say you were racing someone with the exact same set up as you but with a set of heads with better velocity and air flow lower in the lift and rpm range then by the time you even hit 4500rpm you would be playing catch-up because they would be making more power off the line and all the way through the rpm band then you, basically they would whip your *****