383 chevy stroker in 71 olds cutlass - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 03:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

383 chevy stroker in 71 olds cutlass

Hey guys, this is my first post on hotrodders, so I'm pretty new to this. But I'm currently building a chevy 383 stroker for my 71 cutlass, which has a olds 350 rocket in it. I haven't taken the engine out yet, so I'm wondering if I am going to run into any problems putting the chevy engine in the olds. Am I going to have to change anything with the mounts? Would it bolt up to the TH400 tranny I have in there? Any other problems I might run into? Any help/ info would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 05:07 PM

Last photo:

All I can tell you is that a Chevy won't bolt directly to a BOP(Buick, Olds, Pontiac)transmission without an adapter plate that I've never used.
ssmonty
Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

Just get everything for a v8 monte carlo and swap it over same body style and should bolt right in to your cutlass.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:39 PM

Last photo:

You will need the frame mounts from any small block powered 70's ish Chevy, camaro, chevelle, monte carlo, caprice, etc. If your donor car has working transmission, grab it, otherwise you will have to get an adapter to mate the BOP trans to the Chevy. The starter on your chevy is on passenger side of the block, Olds is on the drivers side, so you will either need to relocate the battery to the passenger side, or buy longer battery cables. Headers from a 68-72 Chevelle will work. You'll need all the accessory brackets from a Small chevy, the olds stuff wont mount to your motor.

Save the original motor and trans, brackets, etc, you may decide to build that Olds motor, or swap in a 400 425 455 Olds(bolt in swap).
Old 05-27-2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the help guys. The reason why I'm switching it over to a chevy engine is because I found it much cheaper to rebuild a chevy than the olds engine and get the desired 450+hp. It doesn't seem too bad to convert though from what you guys are telling me.

Should still be cheaper to rebuild the chevy and do all necessary mods then to build up the olds engine? Right??
Old 05-27-2009, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71gutty
Thanks for the help guys. The reason why I'm switching it over to a chevy engine is because I found it much cheaper to rebuild a chevy than the olds engine and get the desired 450+hp. It doesn't seem too bad to convert though from what you guys are telling me.

Should still be cheaper to rebuild the chevy and do all necessary mods then to build up the olds engine? Right??
It only costs a few hundred dollars more to build an Olds engine, and 455 cores can be had for $200-250 if you want an easy 450hp and 525lb/ft. The pulleys, waterpump, distributor, motor mounts, and accessory brackets from the 350 will swap over to the 455. The trans will bolt up, and with some minor upgrades(good shift improve kit and a fluid cooler) will work fine behind the 455. The only thing you cant do easily is find your parts in a Summit of Jegs catalog. Also, buying things like intakes and headers thru craiglist or other online sites(ebay, amazon) can save major dollars. I picked up a set of SRP pistons and CAT rods for $600, brand new in the boxes. $80 for a single plane intake, $40 for an early version of the Performer.
The Olds 350 can be built the same way, and since you already have the motor, your already ahead. Just milling your heads and doing a multi angle valve job, and adding a tuned pair of headers will boost the 350
What gear ratio do you have in the car, just changing that to a mid 3.xx ratio would make a big difference in the cars performance. Most Cutass Supremes came with 2.56 gears during the early 70's

Just throwing some alternatives out there for ya. Rememeber, Hot Rodding isnt about doing what everyone else has done, its about doing it your way. The world is bigger than Small block Chevys and Fords, and doing it differently is what makes you stand out, the car guy that people get to know and remember.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 PM
More for Less Racer

Another vote to stay all Olds, it really won't cost more to redo the 350 Rocket, especially with all the conversion parts and mods you need to do to use the chevy. Could also go to the big block Olds like suggested. Almost any time you crossbreed a car like this you will be lowering the potential resale value. People will pay more for the all-Olds version.

You picked the brand when you picked the body, stick with it!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.