Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 383 crank clearance
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkingof956 View Post
hi am starting to build my 385 stroker build but have a couple of questions that concern me. list of what i have right now:
  1. 350 sbc 4 bolt main 2 piece rear main seal
  2. eagle cast 3.75 stroke crank to fit 350 sbc summitracing part #: ESP-103503750
  3. stock 5.7 rods
  4. 383 speed pro hypereutectic pistons summit part #: SLP-H859CP40

Question is do i have to do machine work to get the required clrearances? or it should just bolt on ready to go? thanks in advance...
Piston compression height is 1.425". Rod is 5.700". Crank radius is 1.875". Add these values together and find a "stack" of 9.000".
Have your machinist inspect the main bearing bores for being round and parallel with each other. Correct by align-honing or align-boring as necessary. Register the block on the main saddle and cut the block decks to 9.000" block deck height. This will give you a "zero" deck block, meaning that with the piston at top dead center, the crown of the piston will be exactly flush with the block deck. Use a 0.039", 0.040" or 0.041" composition gasket to set the squish. It is very important to understand that after cutting the block for zero deck, the block decks at cylinders 1,2,7 and 8 (the corners of the block) will all be the same distance from the centerline of the crankshaft and the heads will sit on the block squarely, allowing the intake manifold to sit squarely and seal up.

You will need to relieve the rods for clearance at the cam, or you could use Scat Pro Stock rods that are ready to bolt in and will clear the cam with no problem.

Spend some time carefully measuring the journals on the Eagle crank. They have not been known for producing accurate numbers in the past. For all you other guys doing this same thing, the Scat cast steel crank and Pro Stock rods are bulletproof parts to use in building a 383/388.