383 driving me crazy, help with tuning issues (Holley Street Avenger) - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 08:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ah ha! Thanks. Time to pull it off and hit the hardware store.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2009, 08:16 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

if you've got the idle down to 1000 RPM why not drive it and see if your overloading is still happening.. b/c i don't see how setting the secondary idle is going to change an overloading through out the rpm range.....
Old 11-28-2009, 08:35 AM

Well, the additional problem with the secondaries too far open like this is that the car is now sucking so much fuel it diesels and won't shut down. I have to crank the idle screws in to stop it. I'm gonna get the idle settled down a bit more before I take it out for another drive.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

Did you buy this used or new? When I got mine,it came with a DVD on how to set it up.
I seat my floats and idle and it worked great.
Also from searching ,there were some of these with bad castings and they would flake off inside.
Before you go any further.You might want to take a bowl off and see.(They come with blue gaskets).
If you see metal flakes,it,s time to call Holley for a replacement.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:04 AM

Brand new. The date code on mine is 3088, which I think puts it outside the range of the affected ones, but I will yank the bowls and check 'em out a bit more closely.

I've got the DVD, and I've been through it, but I'm still having some serious difficulties with this one.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

was there myself, thanks Holley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightning
Did you buy this used or new? When I got mine,it came with a DVD on how to set it up.
I seat my floats and idle and it worked great.
Also from searching ,there were some of these with bad castings and they would flake off inside.
Before you go any further.You might want to take a bowl off and see.(They come with blue gaskets).
If you see metal flakes,it,s time to call Holley for a replacement.
I was playing heck attempting to keep my sbc in tune. I opened up my Holley to examine the power valve & metering block and found the inside of the carb flaking off like a week-old sunburned shoulder!

I called Holley tech support and they inquired as to the number stamped on the carb. The techie told me that my carb fell smack dab in the middle of the list, and to return the carb for replacement.

I did that, and they sent me a new one in return. It would have been nice if they had replaced my power valve with the nonstandard one I had installed during part of the tuning process, but at least I had a good carb once again.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:00 AM

I had a eureka moment this weekend and I was not just having normal issues with this carb. I took the bowls off finally to make sure the PV was the correct 6.5 that it should have come with and not an 8.5 for some reason, cause that's what it was acting like. You know what I found?

That's right, that is my PV with TWO gaskets on it from the factory! That's why it ran a bit rich through the whole range, but not rich enough to be a blown PV. It was leaking fuel between the gaskets. I pulled both gaskets off, cleaned it up, and put a new gasket on it. Reassembled the carb at baseline settings again and you know what? The car runs so much better. I still have the usual Street Avenger stumble to correct, but it's not doing all the stuff it was before. Just a bit of hesitation off the line. Atleast now it idles, stops, and doesn't smoke me out of my garage.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Last photo:

Glad you found the problem, did you also go up in jet sizes. As the carb comes it is too lean IMO for most hi perf engines. My 34 never had any backfire or stumble issues, but it did have surging at anything above idle up to about 2000 rpm. I went up 5 sizes on the primary and 6 on the secondary. The car is a lot more pleasant to dive, throttle transition is super smooth with the surging issues completely gone. I purchased a jet kit from Jegs that had #070 to #080 jets in it.

Vince
Old 11-29-2009, 10:47 AM

I didn't go up in jets yet. Figured I'd tackle one thing at a time. It is still too lean for this motor, and probably too little pumpshot too, but I couldn't really address that until I fixed this first issue.

BTW, aren't the blue gaskets supposed to be re-usable? It came with blue gaskets in it, but they tore when I took it apart. I put blue ones back in it, but I guess I oughta pick up a stack of 'em for doing the rejetting?
Old 11-29-2009, 12:19 PM
More for Less Racer

Whatever gasket you use, just lightly coat them with a little good old Chapstick in the little tube, it does wonders, I have reused gaskets 5-10 times with this trick. The Blue's are supposed to be non stick, but you have to be a little careful when you take it apart if they were put on dry. I always make sure I have spares because you never know when one is going to tear on you.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Last photo:

When I ordered my jet kit from Jegs I also ordered a set of blue gaskets just in case. I didn't have to use them as mine came away clean.

Vince
Old 11-29-2009, 08:30 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeatherman
You know what I found?

That's right, that is my PV with TWO gaskets on it from the factory!
One in a thousand, maybe. But there you go. Good catch.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeatherman
I had a eureka moment this weekend and I was not just having normal issues with this carb. I took the bowls off finally to make sure the PV was the correct 6.5 that it should have come with and not an 8.5 for some reason, cause that's what it was acting like. You know what I found?

That's right, that is my PV with TWO gaskets on it from the factory! That's why it ran a bit rich through the whole range, but not rich enough to be a blown PV. It was leaking fuel between the gaskets. I pulled both gaskets off, cleaned it up, and put a new gasket on it. Reassembled the carb at baseline settings again and you know what? The car runs so much better. I still have the usual Street Avenger stumble to correct, but it's not doing all the stuff it was before. Just a bit of hesitation off the line. Atleast now it idles, stops, and doesn't smoke me out of my garage.
Actually not two pv gaskets but 2 halfs of one. We have had that problem before and the gaskets prob come from the same supplier but what happens is when the pv is tightened it spins the outer half against the inner and splits the gasket like you see there. If you look real hard you will see each half has a somewhat smooth and shiny side while the other is a little rough and has small particles of white showing.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:13 PM

I can't really say what the sides of the gasket that were against the block and the PV looked like. It was really stuck fast to each and I had to scrape it off in segments to get ready for a new gasket. I will say this, the faces in the middle were pretty smooth. I suppose it could have been a single gasket that separated, but there must have been some kind of weird defect to make it shear perfectly in half and fairly smoothly like this. There's a little bit of that white stuff in the bowl too. Wasn't sure where it came from. Either way, I presume that this was the primary issue with my over-rich condition? Sure cleared up a good bit with a new gasket.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
More for Less Racer

Tech @ BG is right, I've seen these power valve gaskets split like this too. To someone not familiar with the gasket, it splits so good that it almost looks like it is two gaskets, but it exactly matches Tech's explaination. I never knew what the cause was however, thanks for the info.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.