383 Engine Build - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 PM
lhmurphy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 180
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 32
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
and Im betting I have over 500 HP right now in my jeep????

why build another engine with the same power?
Good question lol I want to build an engine myself and have a friend who would pay me to run it in his mud bogging jeep...I guess I just find pride in building something that can run great. Also it has always been on my "bucket list" to build and blueprint my own small block...something about hearing those engines run has gotten me hooked. The fact that "I" know exact clearances and all the nuts and bolts on the engine would give me peace of mind also if I decide to run this thing myself.

Last edited by lhmurphy; 06-13-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 PM
lhmurphy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 180
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 32
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer View Post
Keep in mind before you order lifters that the Dart SHP requires .100 taller lifters and that the lifter bores need honed.
I went with Comp Cams 873-16 mechanical lifters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2013, 09:29 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 6,772
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 240
Thanked 621 Times in 604 Posts
freshen that engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhmurphy View Post
Good question lol I want to build an engine myself and have a friend who would pay me to run it in his mud bogging jeep...I guess I just find pride in building something that can run great. Also it has always been on my "bucket list" to build and blueprint my own small block...something about hearing those engines run has gotten me hooked. The fact that "I" know exact clearances and all the nuts and bolts on the engine would give me peace of mind also if I decide to run this thing myself.
maybe make a few improvements on the current engine while refreshing it.Take a real good look at everything and save some money not buying all new parts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2013, 04:46 AM
lhmurphy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 180
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 32
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
maybe make a few improvements on the current engine while refreshing it.Take a real good look at everything and save some money not buying all new parts
I don't want else to do to my engine that's already running. It has AFR 195 Eliminators, comp 12-433-8, scat crank, forged probe pistons, scat forged rods. I'm going to be building this 383 regardless. What do you think I should do? What should I do to make more power with the build?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 AM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 6,772
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 240
Thanked 621 Times in 604 Posts
comp 12-433-8 or Comp K12-772-8 (Solid Roller)
two different cams?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2013, 06:10 AM
lhmurphy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 180
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 32
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
comp 12-433-8 or Comp K12-772-8 (Solid Roller)
two different cams?
12-433-8 in the 406 in jeep now and 12-722-8 for the 383 engine build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2013, 06:18 AM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 6,772
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 240
Thanked 621 Times in 604 Posts
the bigger cam,or w/e cam you decide to use,needs the CR matched. When I use a bigger cam,I usually use bigger matching components(carb/intake/headers)
tune the engine and choose the parts for the situation the engine will be exposed to.Usually to get more HP you need higher rpm or bigger engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2013, 06:26 AM
lhmurphy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 180
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 32
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
the bigger cam,or w/e cam you decide to use,needs the CR matched. When I use a bigger cam,I usually use bigger matching components(carb/intake/headers)
tune the engine and choose the parts for the situation the engine will be exposed to.Usually to get more HP you need higher rpm or bigger engine.
What conpression ratio would you prefer for the 12-772-8? I was thinkin 9.5-10:1

Last edited by lhmurphy; 06-14-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2013, 06:56 AM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 6,772
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 240
Thanked 621 Times in 604 Posts
you need to decide what fuel to run or what is available.
8.5:1 dcr is a starting place for your aim. sooooooooooo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

figure how many ponies you want/need first
we know its a 383 so now figure what heads you need?,,you have AFR 195s
we know that those heads can support close to 600 hp if we have enough CR/and breathing,with fuel to support the parts.

now you can reverse engineer the engine
how many RPMs are you willing to ring out of the engine,?
what fuel will you be using?
what camshaft will get the RPM and get as much flow out of your AFRs as possible in that RPM range.(this will take some time planning because an engine that revs 7500 rpm has a fairly long duration cam that may not match your application and matching parts)
Like Techinspector says"(paraphrased) the effective RPM band is usually 3500 rpm or LESS"
so that 7500 RPM engine will come alive around 4,000 rpm or higher,,,do you really want that?

If you want an engine that peaks at 6,000 rpm,will that engine make the horse power that you want?what total percentage of the available head flow will you be able to use?We need to run a couplesims with Richard? I would be looking for a tune that has peak power around 6800 rpm with those heads and a solid roller cam.
I know right now I wont agree with Richard,but thats good as you can decide for yourself what package works best for you and your application.
Off the top of my head( g2g2 work),,,I would use around 10.5:1
a cam in the low 240s with .600 ish lift, icl/lda to be determined but start at 108/108,probably advancing ICL,,,,
fuel management flowing 850 cfm with single plane intake(Richard would use an RPM dual plane) 1 3/4 inch primary headers,tube length to be determined?
I would be aiming for 535-540 hp
ttyl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 AM
CNC BLOCKS NE's Avatar
CNC Blocks Northeast
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NORTHEAST
Age: 54
Posts: 1,417
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
The Scat rods with either ARP bolt size works well.




It is important to consider the wt's of these rods for balancing.
Those are not a good rod for a stroker build as you would need a reduced base circle cam, The I beam rod with the 7/16 bolts do not require a reduced base circle cam with a 3.750 stroke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2013, 08:15 AM
lhmurphy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 180
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 32
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
you need to decide what fuel to run or what is available.
8.5:1 dcr is a starting place for your aim. sooooooooooo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

figure how many ponies you want/need first
we know its a 383 so now figure what heads you need?,,you have AFR 195s
we know that those heads can support close to 600 hp if we have enough CR/and breathing,with fuel to support the parts.

now you can reverse engineer the engine
how many RPMs are you willing to ring out of the engine,?
what fuel will you be using?
what camshaft will get the RPM and get as much flow out of your AFRs as possible in that RPM range.(this will take some time planning because an engine that revs 7500 rpm has a fairly long duration cam that may not match your application and matching parts)
Like Techinspector says"(paraphrased) the effective RPM band is usually 3500 rpm or LESS"
so that 7500 RPM engine will come alive around 4,000 rpm or higher,,,do you really want that?

If you want an engine that peaks at 6,000 rpm,will that engine make the horse power that you want?what total percentage of the available head flow will you be able to use?We need to run a couplesims with Richard? I would be looking for a tune that has peak power around 6800 rpm with those heads and a solid roller cam.
I know right now I wont agree with Richard,but thats good as you can decide for yourself what package works best for you and your application.
Off the top of my head( g2g2 work),,,I would use around 10.5:1
a cam in the low 240s with .600 ish lift, icl/lda to be determined but start at 108/108,probably advancing ICL,,,,
fuel management flowing 850 cfm with single plane intake(Richard would use an RPM dual plane) 1 3/4 inch primary headers,tube length to be determined?
I would be aiming for 535-540 hp
ttyl
Lets run some sims with Richard...heads will be AFR 210 Eliminators...cam will be 12-772-8...compression (static) will be 9.5:1 for the first sim. I really appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
383 Engine build questions coocoobird Engine 1 11-13-2011 01:53 AM
Whats the best way to build a 383 engine???? neil madsen Engine 22 09-05-2011 10:40 PM
383 engine build help beastlyschriefer Engine 11 03-07-2010 03:40 PM
how to build 383 chev engine 72trucks Engine 4 05-20-2007 10:24 AM
383 engine build MANEFRESH2K4 Engine 1 03-11-2006 01:53 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.