383 help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2002, 09:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 383 help

My 400 in my 1979 1/2 ton Chev is in need of work. Basically everything except the bottom end. So i'm thinking of building a 383. What will I need for a good medium range engine. Comp. ratio? Heads? Pistons? Intake? Cam ect.. I want to do it right. But I don't konw anyone who has built one.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2002, 06:20 PM

Get the AFR catalog and build the one in the back
Old 04-05-2002, 08:09 AM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

This is pretty much a very generic, vague question. Its YOUR engine and YOUR truck, build it how you want it to be. Edelbrock has a lot of nice parts to start with.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:50 PM

Cool

Buy a Chevy over the counter crate motor (See you local chevy dealer). Saves time, money and busted knuckles. These engines are really nice.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:33 AM

Why not use what you have? Rebuild your 400, install 350(5.7") rods, Edelbrock performer cam and intake, or similar. Keep the compression down, around 9.0 to 1, unless you use aluminum heads or can afford expensive gas. You will need to check for rod to cam lobe clearance. Your machine shop will know how to do this.

[ April 10, 2002: Message edited by: trophy ]</p>
Old 04-10-2002, 02:26 PM

Medium stroker bore 30 over flat top pistons hypertech 350 block 4 bolt main preferably you got to notch the block bottom of cylinders for clearance rod bolts also MUST be ground for cam clearance have crank assembly balanced they should do the grinding for you tell them what your doing you'll be alright with stock crank my opinion cam 470 lift 68 to 72cc heads valve size your pick dual plane intake 600 to 650 carb should get what your looking for should set you back about 1600$$
Old 04-13-2002, 05:05 PM

just built a 383, thing runs its assphalt off,but you could buy a crate motor for less and save time. i just wanted to experience building my own, i did it and glad thats over!
Old 04-13-2002, 05:46 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

teamtazdragracing has a good idea get a crate motor. Heres the site for GM. They have a 383 I belive. Check the performance catalog also.
http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/dhtml/index.shtml :p
Old 04-16-2002, 01:42 PM

FYI, Summit has 5.7's with recessed rod bolts just for 383 applications.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:10 PM

Try checking with local parts stores, performance shops, and performance parts companies. Most of them have a 383 kit for all sorts of power ranges and prices. All you would need is a 350 block bored .030 over.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:45 AM

If you have a SBC 400 and want a medium performance motor, I would just rebuild what you have. Your motor has good torque and has more upside potential than the 383. It would also be cheaper because you won't have to buy a block. People like me build 383's because we can't find a 400 block. The 383 will feel a lot like the 400, they have similar torque.

But, I will answer your question. Go to <a href="http://www.speedomotive.com" target="_blank">www.speedomotive.com</a> and look them over. They sell reasonably price kits for 383 builds and give you good assistance with questions etc. Or, you can save money by using the crank from your 400. You can build a 400hp 383 in a 2 bolt main 350 block. You could take your 400 crank to a machine shop and turn down the mains to fit the 350 for about $100. You could use 5.7" rods from the 350 or you can use the long rods out of the 400, either way you will have to buy pistons that have a shorter top to pin measurement than the 350 piston. Keith Black or Speedpro hyperutectic are good and will support NOS if that interest you. You have to relieve the block a little for the crank throw in most cases with a die grinder and the 383, like the 400 is internally balanced, so you have to fit the 400 harmonic balancer and flex plate/flywheel.

But I am serious, come on over to my shop, I'll sell you my $3400 400hp 383 to you and will take your 400 motor. I would build it to 450hp as a 406 daily driver and stomp all the equally built 383s.
Old 04-20-2002, 12:30 PM

Thumbs up

I built a 383 for my 84 4X4 Suburban. I pieced it together from several different motors that I had. It ended up being a killer torque motor. I had Edlebrock build me a cam just for my application. The 383 needs smaller lobes because of the longer stroke in the 350 block. I gave them all the pertinent information like vehicle weight, type of trans, gear ratio and they built a cam just for me. Works GREAT! Those 2.02/1.60 double camel hump heads help it breath. It came out 375 HP and a whopping 455 Ft.Lbs of torque. I'm running the truck 4sp tranny (1st is granny). While I had the motor out I put 73 1ton 4X4 axles and springs under it too. With my parts the machining and motor assembly cost me $2200. The GM truck 383 with 325Hp and 415 FtLbs costs over $3700. Hit those swap meets or your local junk yard and start scrounging, that's what I did.

Good Luck,
Vic

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.